Sonos One volume accidentally at 100%

• 27 October 2018
  • 6 replies

I accidentally played some music at 100% volume on my pair of Sonos One speakers. The music sounded distorted and very loud. Probably because I have the bass and treble set to about 75% in the equalizer settings.

I know distortion/clipping is especially bad for a speaker. The torturing lasted for about ten seconds. Is there someone from Sonos or someone else with knowledge that can tell me if this damaged/degraded my Sonos speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
According to what Sonos has said in the past - since you have amps specifically for each speaker driver … they are set to not allow themselves to actually damage the speaker. Not to say it could never happen but they have safeguards in place to avoid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your scared of this happening in the future. You can go into the latest controller settings...room settings. And set a max volume to like 90% or something.
Thanks for your replies. After the incident I immediately set a limit for the room. I hope the safeguards really work. The music sounded distorted, and that's why I have doubts about that. But maybe I worry too much.
Can perhaps a Sonos technician confirm that the speakers are protected and haven't sustained any damage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos tech? Sure but not likely here until sometime next week, Sonos folks do try to keep up here but don't have a lot of hours to devote here waiting for new posts.

You could ask on Twitter or Facebook that are staffed 24x7 or call in Monday where they could hear the speaker over your phone.
I understand and after listening a few songs this morning I think no damage was done to the speakers. The sound is clear and undistorted from all speakers.