Question

Sonos One SL not connecting to the app

• 25 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I’ve recently moved my Sonos One SL from home to my university accommodation. I had no trouble at home getting it connected, however I am now unable to connect the device to the app to stream music to. I have tried adding it as a new product, connecting it as an existing product and resetting the app. Now, the device isn’t being recognised at all and can’t play any music.

The accommodation has a central WiFi system called Glide so I think this could be something to do with it. I’ve also tried connecting an ethernet cable with no luck.

Surely there must be a way to connect to the WiFi? I’ve tried all of the options in the app and nothing is working which is rather frustrating given the cost.

Is anyone able to help?!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Try getting a Travel Router, connect that to the main WiFi and then connect your Sonos and Controller device to the travel router.

Try getting a Travel Router, connect that to the main WiFi and then connect your Sonos and Controller device to the travel router.

Hi Stanley,

Surely this isn’t the only way? It seems silly to have to buy more tech to connect the device, considering the price of the device itself, not to mention a travel router itself is quite pricey

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It isn’t the fault of the Sonos device that many enterprise networks are not compatible with it, remember it is a home sound system.

Travel routers are expensive? $25 here.

https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B00TQEX8BO/ref=sr_1_16

It isn’t the fault of the Sonos device that many enterprise networks are not compatible with it, remember it is a home sound system.

Travel routers are expensive? $25 here.

https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B00TQEX8BO/ref=sr_1_16

My point is the device should work out of the box and connect to any WiFi - and idk about you but I don’t want to pay an extra £25 when I’ve already payed out for the device itself. 

Surely Sonos will know many university students will own one and not be on a unique WiFi network. As fair as I, and many other university students are concerned, our University room is our home, hence, Home sound system.

If, for instance, the Wi-Fi signal you’re connecting to has a log in page, there is no interface for the Sonos to get past that. Sonos also depends on certain pathways to be open to the outside world, some institutions close them in a cautionary move to keep the network secure. When you don’t have control of the Wi-Fi you’re connecting to, there’s all sorts of potential issues that can occur, and it doesn’t matter what the cost of the device is. Without control of the ‘backbone’, any attached device will be limited.