Question

Sonos One and Samsung Smart Televisions

• 13 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Why am i seeing my two "One" speakers in the list of connected devices on my samsung Smart TV. they are both referred to as "Media Server"s andI did not initiate thes connection, it appears to have happened automatically

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because they are connected to the same network as is the Smart TV. It's not saying the TV is connected to them
But on my tv I can seemingly access them as servers with folders. The folders just seem to be empty. Is there any function we can do there?
No, there isn't, at this point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The TV is registering that Sonos players are UPnP devices and it thinks they are hosting something which they aren't. I wouldn't worry about it, and there isn't really any functionality there that you're missing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
UPnP and DLNA are two network protocols that are very similar, but also very different. Unfortunately, they both use broadcast data to identify devices on the network, which is the way that they are similar. Some devices don't recognize the difference between the two protocols, and will display UPnP devices (like Sonos) when they really mean to only display DLNA devices (like NAS drives, Plex and Subsonic media servers, some networked TV tuners, etc.).

Like Ryan says, there's no functionality you're missing... it's a matter of the TV simply showing everything it finds on the network rather than filtering out devices using a different protocol.