Sonos One and Google AI availability? WHEN !?!?!?!?

• 19 January 2018
  • 11 replies

One of the main reasons we bought the Sonos One was because it was advertised to run on both Alexa and (coming soon) Google Assistant. We bought it before Christmas and are still waiting. At this point, if I can't have both options on my speaker, I'd rather just send it back... and we'll buy both a Google Home and Alexa speakers. What's the deal, Sonos? Either get busy making this work, or stop advertising that you're offering it.

Does anybody have an answer as to when this option will be available? And, please not another "coming soon" answer. I want a hard date, otherwise I'm cashing out.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oh wow - I'm not sure where you thought Google Home was coming quickly. They announced it for 2018 (never saw it stated coming SOON) and I wouldn't expect it until the March timeframe earliest.

Your not going to get a hard date - so if you must "cash out"

They also have Airplay 2 coming. Apple has been delayed in Airplay 2 so I don't expect that until the summer.

I believe right now they are continuing to tweak Alexa integration and working to improve controller UI and add back full Audible support. That is about the only changes I would expect to see in next 30 days.
When you say full audible support, can you elaborate? I'm jealous of an Alexa feature I wasn't aware of with the Echo units until recently ... the ability to use them as intercoms throughout the house, or to other Echo units. Is that one of the alleged "full audible" support features you're speaking of?

Regarding the thought... I had seen "early 2018" and saw somewhere else they were claiming January 2018. I could've misunderstood. I'm ranting ... just having a little buyers remorse I suppose
You aren't going to get a hard date, and the announcement wasn't soon, it was coming in 2018. Sorry to say, you are probably going to have to return it, or go back on your ultimatum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Audible is audio book support.

As far as the intercom feature - right now Amazon is only allowing it on their Echo devices so Sonos can not do that yet.

Yes I use the intercom by having dots in most of the rooms of my house. Good with the kids. I do have a Sonos One in my bathroom - which is great for handsfree use and I don't have any need for intercom in there. All other rooms are non-alexa models of Sonos.
You can Control Sonos from Google Home today by installing the Yonomi app. Limited to Sonos playlists, but works. Not sure what the big deal is, Alexa works better than Google IME.
Chicks ... One thing we really like about Google Home is adding things to our Google Keep shopping list. Can't do it with Alexa... at least, we haven't figured out a way to populate a list via widget on our phone screens (both Android) and voice-control add items to it thru Alexa
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We use Alexa in our kitchen all the time for Shopping lists. There is a shopping list function in the Alexa app - so asking Alexa to add to shopping list shows there. It can also be sync'd to my Apple Reminders from the Alexa app.
But you have to open the Alexa App to view the shopping list, correct? I prefer being able to "pin" the shopping list to a home screen instead, like I can with saying "Ok Google, add whatever to my shopping list" and it populates on my home screen Google Keep widget.

Not as big of a deal for my wife's Pixel, since you can say "Ok Google" even with the screen off and in your pocket... but with my S7, the screen has to be awake before it will accept "Ok Google" commands.

Another question would be ... if I keep an Echo Dot nearby, so that I can communicate via intercom to another Dot out in my Shop... will the Sonos AND the Dot both try to answer "Alexa" commands?
I wouldn't bother having a Somos One and a Dot in the same room. I would save money and get the Play:1 and a Dot. Then again, I'm not bothered by the ducking feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only one will answer commands even if both hear you. Amazon has a protocol where it determines the one that best heard your voice and only that one responds.
Chicks ... One thing we really like about Google Home is adding things to our Google Keep shopping list. Can't do it with Alexa... at least, we haven't figured out a way to populate a list via widget on our phone screens (both Android) and voice-control add items to it thru Alexa

A quick skills search for "grocery" in the Alexa app returns 21 skills. Must be one or two that will do it.