Sonos on my PC monitor

Badge
Hi there, I just bought the Sonos beam today. I was so excited. When I came home and tried to install it on my pc monitor (AGON) I came to the conclusion that my monitor does not have an optical or HDMI-arc output (did not know this was required when buying). I was a little disappointed since this would mean that I would have to return the beam. I then found out I could hook it up to my pc directly! Though I did not use your guide I almost did all the same steps, I only did not setup a remote control (so I skipped those steps somehow) I think I got my beam configured really good. It took some time though. At first the 5.1 was off and the bass was turned off somehow. So the sound was horrible. But after some configuration the beam works perfect (I think?). Tested with some 5.1 test videos and I can hear 5 different channels. Only thing that is bothering me is that my pc says it is sending out 2 channel 44100Hz (16bit). I don't know if this is bothersome or not.

Now for my questions, is it worth to hook the beam up to my monitor through any converter (either a optical converter or an HDMI-ARC converter)? Since then I could also play the sounds from my Nintendo switch and PS4 (mainly used for Blue-ray) on the sonos system, that would be even better!

With that all said, I am super happy with the Sonos! The sound is great. It is such an upgrade from my cheap old phillips sound bar. Now already looking to expand the sonos universe. Any tips on where to start?

Any other tips/things I missed in setting stuff up?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Strange message.

The Beam in a 5.1 setup provides the Front Left, Front Centre, and Front Right channels only.

You need additional speakers for the Rear effects sounds, and a Sub for the .1 element.

But im glad you like the sound.
Badge
Strange message.

The Beam in a 5.1 setup provides the Front Left, Front Centre, and Front Right channels only.

You need additional speakers for the Rear effects sounds, and a Sub for the .1 element.

But im glad you like the sound.

Thanks, this clarifies a lot! So now I need to get some Sonos ones (or play:1's) to get the surround 😃.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yup.

I suspect you’re getting just stereo from the beam, but it’s still sending all 5 channels from the test tones through the 3 speakers in the Beam.
Badge
Yup.

I suspect you’re getting just stereo from the beam, but it’s still sending all 5 channels from the test tones through the 3 speakers in the Beam.

So it is setup in the wrong way right now? Since it is only using stereo? Or is it only possible to send out stereo now?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I can’t be sure how you’ve got the sound card set up in the PC but the Beam will accept PCM or DD datastreams via the HDMI-ARC input.

In the Sonos app, go to Settings, About my Sonos System. Under Beam it will tell you what Adio In data it’s receiving.
Badge
I can’t be sure how you’ve got the sound card set up in the PC but the Beam will accept PCM or DD datastreams via the HDMI-ARC input.

In the Sonos app, go to Settings, About my Sonos System. Under Beam it will tell you what Adio In data it’s receiving.

I see, thanks for helping out! It says it is receiving ''stereo" as audio-input.