Question

Sonos on a wired layer 3 network

• 26 April 2017
  • 4 replies

If I want to connect my Sonos components with a wire, can Sonos communicate via a layer 3 network or must it be layer 2 (same subnet)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I don't quite understand the question. Sonos players and controllers must inhabit the same layer 3 IP subnet. The layer 2 technologies underpinning it can be varied: Ethernet, WiFi, SonosNet, etc.

If you just want to wire Sonos components to switches go ahead. Sonos won't work across multiple subnets without a lot of work.
The situation is, that we on my work Want to have somme "background Music" and if possible use Sonos.
It is a rather big network, so there are a lot of subnets, still on the same Lan but separated by routers (Layer tree switches). The question is, Can the Sonos components see each other using the default gateway over the router, or must they be on the same subnet?
I already answered that question. They must be on the same subnet, unless you want to contrive something like this.
Thanks, this answered my question 🙂