Answered

Sonos network has gotten unstable and connection fails often.

• 3 July 2019
  • 5 replies

My Sonos system (3 Sonos Play 1's and one Boost) worked for quite some years without any kind of hassle.
We used the Sonos network also as WiFi for our smartphones, laptop and tablet, never any issue at all.
And than one day the tablet, main controller for Sonos, not compatible any more.
Okay, no problem, the phones can control Sonos, so problem solved.

Sometime later, no Sonos WiFi network available on the phones or Laptop. And 1 of the 3 Play 1's started to stutter or was hard to connect to.
SONOS UPDATE: No connection to your Sonos network other than Sonos equipment from now on. This to improve and guarantee the best network and audio as possible.

Okay, I except that, either don't have another choice.

But why is that one speaker stuttering?
Changed speakers from position, closer by, further, changed Network channel number, ... etc...
I can only say this. Something has changed the Sonos network in my house.
Nothing has changed from my side as end user. No additional Wireless components, cellphones or whatever.

The Sonos network is 'narrowed down' quite a bit.
It seems that all of a sudden the Sonos network has shrunk.
I used to have stutter free music, placing a Sonos 1 40meters away (somewhere in my garden) from the last speaker in my living room.
I guessed that each speaker 'enlarged' the Sonos network around itself but not anymore or a lot less.

The Sonos Boost was bought together with the speakers and I hoped that the Boost boosted the network also.

What I'm trying to say is that whole this Sonos Network thing is making me crazy and the other peoples in the house frustrated.
Please, release some kind of update to resolve what makes this so terrible or hand me over a solution.
I'm out of options, even releasing all other devices from my personal WiFi.

Hoping for a fix soon.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 5 July 2019, 09:18

Have you considered contacting Sonos support and sending them a diagnostic so they can look at your system? Send the diagnostic within 10 minutes of having the problem and then see the Sonos contact page (verify the country is right) for the methods to get in touch, some are staffed 24x7.

You could try some basic stuff like:
Move your Sonos Net to a different and hopefully quieter channel.
Looking at your Network Matrix to see if it is showing issues.

Using the Sonos network for anything but Android devices isn't supported and the last update removed the Android access too so I can't understand that portion of your post.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Have you considered contacting Sonos support and sending them a diagnostic so they can look at your system? Send the diagnostic within 10 minutes of having the problem and then see the Sonos contact page (verify the country is right) for the methods to get in touch, some are staffed 24x7.

You could try some basic stuff like:
Move your Sonos Net to a different and hopefully quieter channel.
Looking at your Network Matrix to see if it is showing issues.

Using the Sonos network for anything but Android devices isn't supported and the last update removed the Android access too so I can't understand that portion of your post.
Even though nothing has changed on your home network, neighbors could have installed something that is introducing interference. Have you recently replaced a microwave oven? Some ovens cause trouble, some do not.
What I was trying to say with the android thing is that when I had access to the sonos network I could check the WiFi connection easily. Which is unmanageable now because of last update.
So no I cannot see what the problem might be.

I moved the Sonos channel to another and quiter channel but because of most routers manage their channels automatically, chances or great that one of these days, someone else his or her router switches to the same more quite channel as my Sonos channel.

Nothing like ovens or a new Wifi (SSID) has shown up in my network.

How can I contact sonos support to check my diagnostics report?
Any chance on 'see' how good the network quality of the Sonos network is?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Send in a diagnostic, if you can do it within 10 minutes of having an issue it has better odds of having the needed info included.
Contact Sonos support (forums are not the best option) at one of the options on the contact page and give them the diagnostic number and describe your problem.
Update on the situation:

I send a diagnostic and received a verdict.
1 Speaker was impossible to connect with the BOOST and could hardly connect to the furthest placed other SONOS speaker.
So this resulted in a bad network and constant drops.

But no one can tell me why this happens just like that.
The speaker that was placed almost 40meters away before is now standing barely 10meters away from the furthest placed SONOS and still no good connection?

Well, just to test something, I removed the BOOST, guess what:
Indeed, no errors what so ever.

I quit the discussion with SONOS. They make it simple.
"Sir, what you write about those 30 - 40 meters is just not possible".
"It will never work like that and it never did work like that, or you had an additional SONOS speaker placed somewhere in between".

Still asking myself, why just like that?
Everything worked fine but a few updates later troubles in paradise.
Unplugging a perfect working €125,- costing piece of SONOS equipment and things are working great again.
On top of that, I receive an email from SONOS that I can benefit an extra -15% discount a a thank you for using SONOS.

Sorry, but that's not so nice at all.