SONOS Home Theater Mode

• 1 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi All,

I have a 2018 58” Samsung UHD 7 Series TV which I would like to configure in the Home Theater Mode.

Here is my current configuration:

58” Samsung UHD 7 Series TV with Optical PCM Audio Out (stereo only) = No Dolby or Dolby+
SONOS Playbar
SONOS Sub

I am thinking of adding an[ iArkPower HDMI audio extractor and two (2) SONOS Play:1 rear speakers to produce 5 speaker surround sound.

I am wondering if an = iArkPower HDMI audio extractor can be used to produce Dolby 5.1 for my Playbar, Sub and (2) Play:1 Rear Speakers in surround = Home Theater mode.

Many Thanks for any advice that you provide for me.

Kind Regards,
Dick Leo, Rochester NY

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

An HDMI audio extractor is just that, it extracts audio, in any format, from the A/V stream. It will not convert anything that Sonos does not support to DD 5.1 So if you use an audio extractor, and feed it DTS audio from a Blu-ray, that will not work.

So whatever playback device (Apple TV, PS4, BluRay player) you use, that should be outputting or converting its output to DD5.1, before you run it through the HDMI audio extractor, for you to get 5.1 audio from your Sonos system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Dick

The PlayBar, Sub and two Play:1's will support Dolby (but not Dolby +) via the optic connection, as per: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/playbar.html

Does that answer your question or am I missing something?
Badge
More precisely, I am wondering if anyone has experience with an iArkPower HDMI audio extractor to produce Dolby 5.1 to input (via Optical Port) to SONOS Playbar, Sub and (2) Play:1 Rear speakers.
No, I've not used that extractor, but based on reviews, it should be fine. Like the others above though, I don't how the extractor can help you in your situation.

What are you're video sources? Cable box? Blu-ray? Game console? In a typical setup, these devices connect to your TV, and your TV then passes the audio signal on to the playbar. Some TVs can't do this well, but your Samsung should have no issue.

If you're only getting PCM stereo, then either your sources are not producing DD 5.1, your TV audio configuration is limiting output to PCM, or you actually are getting DD 5.1 but don't realize it since you haven't setup the surround speakers yet.

People usually get extractors because they have an older TV that either doesn't have an optical output, or can't passthrough audio, which doesn't look like it would apply to your TV.