Answered

Sonos Five power delivery?

• 26 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

I have ordered a Sonos Five recently and I am quite curious to know how much power does the Sonos Five deliver or the wattage or how low does the Sonos Five go? There is no relevant information available on Interent. Also, does the Sonos only use the 2.4GHz bandwidth? If so, can I switch between 5GHz and 2.4 GHz, when not using and using the product respectively?

Regards,

SB

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 28 September 2020, 01:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Five, and all other Sonos products except the Move, will only connect to a router’s 2.4 GHz signal.

Badge +2

The Five, and all other Sonos products except the Move, will only connect to a router’s 2.4 GHz signal.

Also, can you provide any knowledge about “I am quite curious to know how much power does the Sonos Five deliver or the wattage or how low does the Sonos Five go?” and “ If so, can I switch between 5GHz and 2.4 GHz, when not using and using the product respectively?” → here switching between refers to network on my device

Userlevel 7

Hi @simarbhamra97 

Regarding wattage it’s really a moot point. Sonos speakers are not concerned with how many watts they can handle as their power supply/amplification is internal to the speaker.

How many watts a speaker can handle before clipping is more a concern for conventional speakers driven by an AVR or dedicated amplifier that delivers X watts per channel. Assuming you listened to the Five before purchase you shouldn’t be concerned about the Sonics.

More appropriately you might be concerned about coverage for a space of X size where two Five’s maybe more adequate than a single Five.

I concur with AJTrek1, and I don’t think Sonos has ever published those numbers, since it’s comparing apples to spaceships, I.e there’s no way to compare the two numbers with any correlation. 

Userlevel 7

@Airgetlam 

Apples to Spaceships 🤔

Is Sonos the Apple or Spaceship. 😂LOL

Badge +2

Hi @AjTrek1 and @Airgetlam,

Thank you for your thoughts on my concern. Really appreciate it.

@AjTrek1 I do get the point you made. I did listen to Sonos Five and I was really impressed by the sound quality and the emphasis on the low frequency. Just the concern was that there are so many companies like Denon, out there that openly state their power output as a thing to be considered when you spending a good amount of money. 

Not sure if I should be talking here but how is JBL Boombox 2, when I ordered Sonos Five, someone I know asked me to consider JBL Boombox 2 as well due to the exact same price of Sonos Five and JBL Boombox 2.

Again, Thanks!

Haven’t heard the JBL but that’s a bit like comparing apples and spaceships, as the saying goes.  The JBL is a portable Bluetooth speaker and the Five is a networked non-portable speaker that is designed to do multiroom.  A more sensible comparison would be the Boombox and the Sonos Move, although the Move can do networked multiroom as well as portable Bluetooth.

How powerful is the Five?  Assuming it is similar to the Play:5 gen 2, then it is powerful enough for it to be louder at full volume than I will ever want to play it, or be able to play it with neighbours in adjoining apartments.  Yet it still stays clear.  That is what really counts.  Watts are ten a penny.

(Of course, you may like your music much louder than I do.)