Answered

Sonos CONNECT AMP, How is volume controlled when hooked to TV

• 10 August 2017
  • 3 replies

I am thinking of getting a Sonos CONNECT AMP and hooking it to my TV. When hooked to my TV can I still control the volume with my TV remote or do I have to use the Sonos app?
icon

Best answer by ewand 18 October 2017, 11:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The C:A was not designed or intended for use with a TV and it's a pretty bad idea to try. If you want TV sound with Sonos you'd be better advised to get a Playbar or Playbase, which are designed for that purpose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you just want stereo sound then the Connect Amp should meet your needs, fancier then as John suggested.

As the connect only offers a single analog stereo input your sound would be controlled by the Sonos volume control. But if you hook the Sonos to outputs on your TV that are controlled by the TV volume control then you'd have both controls available.
I have this set up - a Sonos Connect:Amp in the kitchen, rigged up to ceiling-mounted speakers. I plug a 24" LCD TV from its 3.5mm headphone socket into the line in on the Amp, and it works fine. In fact, it's ideal - when the TV is on, the line in on the amp takes precedence over everything else, so you don't need to do anything to the amp when starting the TV up, even if it was playing music from the queue before.

You can control the line out levels on the TV by using the TV remote, but it's not very effective (ie the level of line out needs to be pretty high on the TV to be at a volume on the Sonos commensurate with other music playback etc) - the best thing to do is to use the Sonos app, or in our case, because the TV is in front of the amp, just reach around and prod the volume buttons.

Or use an Amazon Echo and say "Alexa, kitchen volume 6" 🙂