Question

SONOS Compatibility with Devolo Magic 2 WIFI

• 13 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Dear All,

I am thinking of buying a Devolo Magic 2 WIFI NEXT but I would like first to check the  Compatibility with my SONOS system. (AMP,, P1, P5, Boost)

Thanks

Andrea

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @abagnuo.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I would be more than glad to assist you with this concern.

Here are router settings essential for the Sonos system that needs to be verified.

You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

a. The auto channel must be set to Off

b. Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)

c. Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz

d. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled

e. UPnP should be enabled

f. 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n

g. Airtime Fairness should be disabled

You can also view the Sonos system requirements article on our support website for more information.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

I have just installed the Devolo Magic 2 in my home. It works really well, but there are some caveats:

1. Set the auto channel to off (in Devolo)
    1. NB: Unfortunately there are no way to control the bandwidth, and the systems seems to want to go to 40 MHz in the 2.4 GHz space. Although it pollutes the spectrum, it does not affect the Sonos systems.
  2. To make sure that the system uses normal Wifi and not SonosNet, especially if you are in a spectrum crowded area, you must disable Wifi on all the sonos unit(s) wired to network (done in the mobile app). You know the system uses Wifi when all wireless sonos units gets an IP-adress from your DHCP. You can use the mobile app to update the wifi-network info with the sonos units, if there are issues to get the sonos to connect to the wifi.
    1. NB: You can test this by enabling Wifi on one of the wired sonos units, and if it works then (but not otherwise), you need to update the network info with all the sonos units, using the mobile app. You will then be able to disable wifi on the wired units again. Look in the router, and make sure all sonos units have active IP-addresses.
  3. Setting to b/g/n is not necessary, and I would advice to stick with g/n. The b standard is at least 20 years (and will affect the performance), and unless somethings not working, you can stay with g/n.
  4. You can have the Mesh-functionality enabled (in the Devolo) but I experienced problems with the 802.11r "Fast Roaming", so I advise to leave that disabled.
  5. Airtime fairness does not affect the Sonos, no need to temper with that (in the mesh etc.

Good luck,

//Krister

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kristern.

Thanks for your response.

I appreciate your very thorough answer and expertise.

If you will experience any issues, kindly submit a diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system.

You may also refer to this article for Sonos system requirements.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.