Sonos Boost

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am considering getting the boost to free up some of my network.l own four Sonos products,they all work fine together but my network is a little drained.l am getting a bit of buffering watching 4K streams.Would the boost benefit my situation? Cheers.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @King Colin, thanks for reaching out, Regarding your concern, The Sonos boost creates a separate wireless network for Sonos and eliminates interference from other devices so you can listen free from interruptions and dropouts. So it is recommended If you have a couple of devices connected to the same network, as the Boost will create a separate wireless network for your Sonos products to connect to lessen Audio dropouts. You may check on this link to know more about the Sonos Boost. 
Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for your reply Simon.

As l stated my beam home theatre system works without any drop outs.I am sure though that my network has slowed sufficiently to effect my viewing on 4K content.Perhaps having the Sonos running separately will help.And the boost is easy to set up?

Thank you.

As easy as setting up a speaker. Just remember, once it’s set up, to remove your WiFi information from your controller. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @King Colin, thanks for the update. I would recommend the Sonos Boost in this case, If you encounter Slow internet connectivity issues, as the boost will create a separate network for your Sonos products. I’d agree with @Airgetlam that It’s an easy setup for the Sonos Boost. 

On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Add Boost and follow the on-screen prompts to add this product to your Sonos system.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This SonosNet probably will interfere with your home wifi as they operate on the same frequency.  Best to hard wire your speakers

Not quite a true statement. Within the Sonos app, you have the option to change the SonosNet channel between 1, 6, and 11. You also have the availability on all routers I’m familiar with to set the channel they use, as well. If you stick with one of the other channels that the Sonos isn’t using, there’s no chance of bleedover. You can look at graphs of frequency usage, you’ll see 1, 6 ans 11 are not overlapping at all. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Fine until you have more than one access point, which many people do.  Each will use a different channel.  Many people also live in wifi-saturated areas where there are many overlapping wifi signals from neighbours etc.  Try finding a clear channel to use there.  Wire your Sonos to your home network if at all possible.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you for all your responces. I split my network and have my tv and streamer on a separate channel than the rest of my devices-Sonos included.Everything seems to be operating perfect now,and no problem with my Sonos products.l did find last night with the bad weather-the network dropped and my 4K movies streamed badly!! Today with better weather- everything perfect again.Cheers again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @King Colin, thanks for the update. I’m glad it worked. 

If there's any other issue you're having in the future, feel free to reach out.  

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Fine until you have more than one access point, which many people do.  Each will use a different channel.  Many people also live in wifi-saturated areas where there are many overlapping wifi signals from neighbours etc.  Try finding a clear channel to use there.  Wire your Sonos to your home network if at all possible.

Keep in mind the Sonos restrictions imposed on your local WiFi network if you use it. No restrictions are imposed if you use SonosNet from a wired Sonos device.

I was not willing to run all my access points on the same channel, wasn’t willing to give up other features that my other devices can take advantage of either. For me the best solution was to move my Sonos to SonosNet and keep my WiFi set for optimum performance of my other gear.