Sonos Beam with projector

• 16 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Quick question... I have a epson projector which I connect to my Apple TV at that is all, no other devices. I want to buy the Beam with the play 1s for surround sound but have read this is tricky. Can I run hdmi from projector to Apple TV then use optical from beam to Apple TV and get surround sound?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Does your Apple TV have an optical output?

They used to, but the last couple of versions dropped it, as memory dictates. I have a 4K version, and the one before that, and both of them don't have an optical output. I recall (hazily) that either the 3rd or 2nd rev did.

But, you've also got the option of using an HDMI/Optical switch to separate the optical signal. You'd run a cable from the Apple TV to that switch, and then another HDMI cable from the switch to the projector for the video, and an optical cable from the switch to the Beam. There's a lot of posts in the Home Theater section of this forum about people using various versions of this setup. I don't, so I can't give you any particular recommendations.
One other random thought on this.

You might be able to find a similar switch device with an ARC enabled HDMI port, in which case you would just use that to connect to your Beam. I've never looked for such a device, but I have to assume one exists.
Huh, there are quite a few listed on Amazon. Just was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B01HM1RP6G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1539701369&sr=8-7&keywords=hdmi+switch+with+arc

Not recommending any of them, mind you, I don't use one myself. But they do exist. Might be an option if you don't want to use optical. But the difference between optical and HDMI ARC is zero, in terms of quality. They both are 100% digital signals, so exactly the same.
Thanks Airgetlam I appreciate all your help. I think my apple tv must be the gen 2 or 3 which is why it does have an optical port, so I think I'm in luck. If I look at upgrading my apple tv then what you have suggested will be perfect. I think the beam should be great for what I need, and then I can use the play 1s as surround sound 🙂