Question

sonos beam doesnt do anything

• 20 July 2019
  • 7 replies

I got my beam today I connected it doesn’t do the charm doesn’t connect to my tv doesn’t connect to my computer doesn’t do Alexa or airplay doesn’t show up on my sonos app and when it does say error every time I try to connect . I factory rest and still same issues . Rested my apps and internet and nothing . Sonos is so complicated to use this is really upsetting. I’m about to return this and get a speaker that I can connect with a wire and call it a day.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Maybe your Beam is faulty. It almost seems it’s not connected to electricity. Do the lights come on?

Have you tried connecting it to your router by cable?
It is plugged in the light is on after hours of trying i got it to connect with the other sonos speakers. Although it will not work with my computer . these issues happened while connect to the router and while not connected to the router. Alexa will not respond and when she does she saying she's having trouble try agian later. For the price i have paid for this speaker the troubles are deff not worth it . I tried calling sonos and they are closed Saturday and Sunday.
But their 24/7 support areas on both Twitter and Facebook are available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi lorenzotorres22

Sounds like you are having IP Address conflicts. BTW you cannot setup Sonos via a computer you must use an iOS or Android device. With that said try the following by the numbers:

If using a conventional W-I-fi Network

1. Unplug all Sonos
  2. Unplug all other wireless and wired devices
  3. Delete the Sonos app
  4. Unplug any range extenders; if in use
  5. Reboot your router and modem
  6. Power cycle your device
  7. Update your device if necessary
  8. Reinstall the Sonos app
  9. Plug-n your Sonos 1 X 1
  10. Do not plug in the range extenders
  11. Plug in other wireless and wired devices
  12. Test your system
If using a MeshNet

1. Make sure that only the Main module has DHCP enabled
  2. Unplug all Sonos
  3. Unplug all other wireless and wired devices
  4. Delete the Sonos app
  5. Reboot your router and modem
  6. Power cycle your device
  7. Update your device if necessary
  8. Reinstall the Sonos app
  9. Plug-n your Sonos 1 X 1
  10. Plug in other wireless and wired devices
  11. Test your system

Or skip the above and submit a diagnostic and then call Sonos or try Twitter which is 24/7
Edit: If using range extenders make sure the have the same SSID and Passphrase as the main router and that DHCP is disabled on them as well.

Cheers!
I’ve tried all the above ... the app now glitches . I have a hard time controlling the audio . I still cant get the audio to play from my computer to the beam with the hdmi wire attached even though I set it up as the out put... the volume to the beam is very low and I can only listen to it if I use airplay with other speakers I can listen to it alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi again

Since you have done all the above then you'd be best served by contacting Sonos as suggested.

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
@lorenzotorres22 So you are not trying to connect the Beam to a TV, but to a computer? Does this computer have ARC?

A word of advice: commenting about all the hassle Sonos has brought to you vs. the price you paid, does not invite people to help you. If Sonos does not work as advertised, I find that the problem mostly lies in circumstances most devices, not only Sonos, take for granted - good wifi for example.