Sonos Beam Compatibility w. Panasonic Plasma TV

Badge
I'm unsure if my Panasonic Plasma TV (TC-P50V10) has ARC functionality. It does have HDMI. The TV's documentation is not clear. Are any community members know if these older sets have HDMI capability?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Since it's not mentioned in the documentation, and the port on the TV is not labeled as ARC, probably not. The tv does have an optical audio out though.
Badge
I read somewhere that using the optical audio out is not compatible with the voice assistant on Beam. Is that correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I have read that some Panasonic tvs also will not pass through DD5.1 from tv hdmi input to the tv optical out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I read somewhere that using the optical audio out is not compatible with the voice assistant on Beam. Is that correct?
Beam is able to send some basic voice control commands to the TV over HDMI-ARC using CEC. So you'd need to be connected using an HDMI-ARC connection, and one that supports CEC commands. If you're using the optical you won't be able to send over those commands as the Optical is output only.

However, Beam will still have voice control, which means music playback and other Sonos functions that can be voice controlled will continue to work just fine, no matter what connection you're using to the TV. In addition to that, if you're using an Amazon Fire TV, you'd be able to use your Beam to control that.

I have read that some Panasonic tvs also will not pass through DD5.1 from tv hdmi input to the tv optical out.

Copied from the manual of that TV on page 58:

You can enjoy your home theater by connecting a Dolby Digital (5.1 channel) decoder and "Multi Channel" amplifier to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminals.

Caution

Depending on your DVD player and DVD-Audio software the copyright protection function may operate and disable optical output. When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC channel is selected, the output will be PCM. When playing movie on SD Card Movie player, when the sound has been recorded in Dolby Digital, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal will be Dolby Digital. When the sound is recorded in the other formats, the output will be PCM.

From the same manual, on page 45, it lists HDMI2 as ARC. But you'd want to double check that.
Weird. This is the manual I found.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/television/om/tc-p50v10_en_om.pdf

It does have page 58 as Ryan stated, but no mention of ARC on page 45. Maybe there are different versions of the manual out there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It does have page 58 as Ryan stated, but no mention of ARC on page 45. Maybe there are different versions of the manual out there.
It looks like I had the manual for a similar model, but not exactly the same one. So I may be mistaken on that ARC, the TV itself should say ARC on the port. I pulled it up again and I was looking at the TX not the TC.
Badge
No ARC printed on port. 😞
My 2012 panasonic plasma does have ARC.
However just like optical it only sends stereo. Not 5.1.
Userlevel 2
My 65" 2013 Panasonic has ARC (HDMI 1) but no optical.
Userlevel 2
I have the same Panasonic Plasma. Does anyone else have problems with Beam audio distortion?