Sonos Beam and audio control

• 14 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Syncing TV remote and iPhone / iPad with Sonos Beam. I have recently set up a Sonos Beam. the initial setup was pretty straightforward and i adjusted the speaker settings on my Sony TV to external Audio. This gave me volume control of the beam with my tv remote. I can also control the beam volume with my iPad / iPhone. Worked great for a bit, then the volume on the beam control started being a bit crazy. If i turned the volume on the tv remote to minimum, i would still get audio at a reasonably loud volume from the beam. If i turned the volume control on my iPhone to minimum, the volume level on the tv woul dbe at a reasonably loud level. (see photos). Sometimes I have the volume on the tv remote at 80 (out of 100) which is incredibly loud on the internal tv audio, but on the beam it is barely a whisper and barely audible. also on the iPhone sonos control, if i set it to full, the beam is barely audible at times, and at other times it is deafening.................Any ideas? Also the bass seems very heavy on the beam, is there a way to control that on the beam or is that a tv thing? thanks for your help..............

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
How did you connect the beam ? Is it connected via hdmi arc or optical ? Did you turn off internal speakers in the tv setting ?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi Marc_51. The Beam is connected via the HDMI optical accessory that came with the Beam. The TV doesn't have HDMI-ARC. Internal TV speakers are turned off. I tend to use the TV remote, but sometimes use my iPhone to control the volume. I'm wondering if I have the iPhone out of range of the beam (when I'm at work say) and someone else uses the tv remote, that buggers up the settings?
Perhaps a rather silly suggestion, however I will still mention it (just in case), but I take it you have not left the plastic 'protective cap' on the optical adapter and then forced the connection into the TV? I have heard of people doing things like that!:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
LoL! Thanks Ken, No the plastic cap was removed. The system was working fine previously with the tv remote controlling the volume perfectly. Something seems to have "snapped" and it's not working now. I've reset the system and still the same. Last night i could turn the volume to the max on the tv remote and the increase in volume coming from the beam was barely noticeable, yet when i use the iPhone the volume from the beam goes all the way. Are there controls on the beam to reset?