Sonos Beam 2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019, LG Oled C2 TV Mainly using Plex as content

• 8 February 2023
  • 6 replies

New User, New Beam Gen 2 hook up help.    There are so many threads and great info here on the forum and I have spent hours reading through them and thanks for all that post. I guess I'm a bit lost or confused somewhat on the set up so, perhaps you folks could chime in on our set up .   Here is how I have it set up as of yesterday:

Nvidia Shield is connected to HDMI 3 to my LG Oled C2 TV.   I have the beam connected through the HDMI 2 Port ARC to the Sonos gen 2 HDMI port.   I do not have any Surround sound set up as yet, I will probably get a sub but for now I guess you can say all we have is the Sonos sound bar connected.  

I was having a problem getting any sound at all so I contacted Sonos (great support) and we got the Beam working but I am not sure what audio I am actually getting  The LG is set to Sound HDMI to Wired external device.   The format that shows on the Beam is PCM 2.0 …. 

My content is a mixtures of content sent from the Shield that can be a number of services like Amazon Prime Video,  Kodi 20 and our library of content from our NAS devices hooked up through Plex media server.  The content is a mixture of 4k, 1080p and other formats in a .mkv stream. 

IN looking at the Shield Audio options I have HDMI CEC enabled.  Under the next page Advanced Sound Settings the only option that is checked is Play comfort noise on HDMI, Display Volume controller warning   Surround Sound There is no options selected.  

As far as I can see is the content when playing gives me the content specifications like 4k, (what ever audio stream on the file)  but when I look at the Sonos app when playing a stream I only see PCM 2.0 as the audio.    I know this is a stupid question but could it be that because I do not have a surround sound set up that is why it only shows 2.0?  This is our first sound bar that we have had and it was originally to deal with getting a better center channel voice level…. 

So I am confused and there has to be someone with a similar set up that could walk me through this  I am looking at adding a sub, but can’t decide on which of the 2 to get at this point.. but that will come latter.   We are getting sound and compared to the TV sound we are extreamly happy I just want to know If we are actually hooked up right, and what we are actually getting… I have a number of Blu-ray movies with either TRUE HD, Dolby 5.1, 7.1 and even Atmos but I honestly don’t know what my current set up should be and with out the sub and surround channels at this point am I getting the best I can.   I can’t tell if the Beam Gen 2 is doing the audio set up or if it is set at the Shield level with our TV set up.   

Be kind… this is my first try with the Beam :-)   In the past I have had Surround sound systetm with an AV receiver and multiple speakers… (in another room)   hopefully I can eventually get this system to the same level :-)  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

You should be able to get 5.1 audio with your setup. Make sure the TV is set to these settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC Support: On

On the Nvidia Shield, go to Settings > Device Preferences > Display & Sound > Advanced sound settings > Available formats and set this to AUTO.

TV is set up as you have shown.  I have now set Available formats to Auto  At this point None of the types under manual or no  surround sound is selected, I take it, that will be done under auto and it will select the correct sound?  

So,  now if I open my Sonos Ap under system settings it is showing Audio In Stereo PCM 2.0  should it say something else, this is a Plex Audio Stream is showing English DTs-0HD MA 5.1   The Sonos is playing sound as before

Update,  well interesting I have been experimenting with several 4k movies and the one that I have now on is actually an 4k hdr English True HD 7.1 file and when I play that and go to setting on the file for Plex (while playing the movie I go to play back setting it is showing TrueHD.7.1,  this is an Atmos version   

In plex If I go to Playback Info the source show Direct Play on my server,  and the audio is Direct Play TrueHD 7.1  and here is shows under player   EXoPLayer… (which I am guessing what is decoding the audio?)   This is all new for me, so please excuse my dumb questions :-) 

Userlevel 7

The LG C2 doesn’t support DTS audio pass through. This is why you are only getting Stereo PCM audio from DTS sources. When playing a DTS source, set the Nvidia Shield to LPCM (or a multichannel PCM setting) if it is available. This will give you “Multichannel PCM” audio from all 5.1 DTS sources.

So,  after your first set up idea I went ahead and set it up exactly as you suggested…   So today I’ve taken some time to check out about of files in my library and it is interesting…  I am watching a file right now as configured you gave me originally and it is showing HDR,  Dolby Digital Plus 5:1 and it sounds great… I have also some True HD files with 7.1 Atmos audio and the sound is great…. some of the files I have only are 5.1… it is interesting, the app on my phone under does now seem to change from movie to movie…   I think I need to do a little deeper dive in to what I have and try to understand what is happening.  

When I spoke with Sonos yesterday they had me set it up where it was always outputting PCM…. I”ll have to go back and look again… but, right now it seems I’m getting some choices when playing on my Plex Server with is a Windows desktop.  What is interesting is looking at the play back of the different files under the Audio options.  But, from what I am watching right now the Dollby Digital + great.  Go figure!

Userlevel 7

It is completely normal to get different audio formats from different sources. Not everything is mixed with the same audio format.

I do notice several different ways the CD’s are made… when I rip them to .MKV for the NAS the various streams show up …. The setting you gave me are working for most of the files.. I'll just have to experiment around a bit.   Anyone else what to chime I'm listening…