Sonos automatically play when entering the bathroom

• 9 December 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
I have Sonos in the house and want to put Sonos in the bathroom that will automatically play when entering.

The only way I can think of doing this is to have a movement sensor they switches both the light on and power to the Sonos speaker ... but is it possible to get the Sonos to play music when power is provided (ie on power on).

I would like a Sonos group for the bathrooms that eternally plays a mix of chart hits, coming into action when someone is in the bathroom, turning off when they leave.

However I also want to be able to occasionally play the same music as I have playing throughout the house (ie for a party) - this is the reason I think of a Sonos.

Is my idea possible ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I could do easily with smartthings. With a home automation hub such as I can tell it to send command to play a playlist etc if motion sensor tripped (and even set time of day for it to happen and not happen - as such I could have it play something different in morning vs evening etc.

Automation I have in place right now is my morning alarm in smartthjngs sends command to bathroom Sonos to say good morning and tell me weather and tell me security system deactivated. When I turn in security at night my bathroom sonos says alarm activated and tells me what alarms are set for the morning.

Lots of things you can do with Sonos paired with smartthings.

Note: my motion triggers also have what to do when no longer motion so they could turn off music as well.
Badge +1
Thanks what hardware do you have to do this ? A SmartThings hub and a motion sensor ? Anything else ?

Could it work with the Philips Hue motion sensors ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Smartthings hub.

I beleive you can use hue motion sensor as a smartthjngs motion sensor but you have to unpair it from the hue hub and instead pair it with the smartthings hub.

I use smartthings to control a lot with hue. I have a 3rd pArty motion sensor now that between hours of 10am and 11pm will turn on my Christmas tree (smartplug) and, mantle spotlight (hue bulb) and mantle lights (hue light strip) when detects motion.

I have a morning wake up routine that slowly turns my hue bulb in bedroom on gradually changing color and simulating sunrise.

My goodnight routine turns in alarm system and makes sure all hue lights are turned off
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I had motion sensor issues as far as reliability. Then I got these and they work absolutely perfect with no false readings (waking me up at night).

Fibaro FGMS-001 ZW5 Motion Sensor with Z-Wave Plus Multisensor
Badge +1
Chris - the Fibaro are £50 each ... do they do anything 'special' or was it the reliability (no false positives) that encouraged you to ditch the £30 Hue ones ?
Badge +1
Chris - I have connected my Sonos to my SmartThings hub (yay) and all is now connected ... but in the app I can't see how to play a playlist. I have followed the app so that when the lightbulb turns on I want the Sonos to play a playlist ... but I can't see how to play the Spotify playlist - can you help please?
Badge +1
Chris - I have worked out how to get the Songs to play the last song that it was playing when I walk into the room (I have the trigger being that the light has turned on rather than using the sensor/switch/dimmer) ... but how do make the Songs play a specific playlist ? Thanks