Sonos arc with vaulted loft ceiling

• 17 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi! I’m interested in getting the arc surround theatre system for sports and movies (although I listen to music much more than I watch TV). I understand high, vaulted ceilings aren’t ideal and less so my space which is open to the loft above. Still, I’m interested in Sonos for its quality, easy connectivity and options to expand (for example I’ll likely also get a pair of Ones for my office and gym which are in the loft space). 

So my question is does “less than ideal” mean I simply won’t benefit from the full effects or that it’s not appropriate and I should look for something else?

Attached are photos of my space. The ceiling is  14’7” at its highest eg the wall where the TV is (getting a large screen TV soon), and has a 20 deg slope downward towards the viewing area. To the left of the TV wall is open plan, which is partially covered by the loft space above and a sloped ceiling that is 30 deg. Both areas are open at the top as shown.

Thanks so much! I’m eager to make my purchase! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You are correct that your space is less than ideal, but I don’t think the Arc will be bad for you space.  You’re just not going to get the full Dolby effect. 

Also you are only going to use those upfiring speakers when listening to Atmos content, which is going to be only on a smaller set of content.  You won’t get atmos with sports or when streaming music.

Userlevel 7

Because the Arc relies on side firing drivers to produce a virtual surround effect, and because your room is more open on the left side of the TV, you may experience a stronger surround effect on the right side than the left. But most people’s living rooms aren’t perfectly symmetrical to the TV’s location.

If you do decide to get the Arc, be sure to adjust the height audio level pretty high. I don’t know if it will make a difference with your high ceilings, but it might help a little.

You won’t get atmos with sports or when streaming music.

Dolby Atmos music is available on Tidal and Apple Music. So she could listen to Dolby Atmos music on the Arc if she has the right devices and TV to play it.

You won’t get atmos with sports or when streaming music.

Dolby Atmos music is available on Tidal and Apple Music. So she could listen to Dolby Atmos music on the Arc if she has the right devices and TV to play it.

True, but I was trying to keep it simple.  And it just seems to me that if someone says they listen to music more than watch TV, I assume they don’t want to turn on the TV to listen to music.

Perfect! Thanks for the replies and tips (and it was helpful to know the upfiring speakers are only in use with Dolby).