Question

Sonos Arc with two remotes

• 16 July 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi any ideas how I can use two remotes with my Arc

For example I have my Sky Q remote registered within the Sonos App ok however if I am using my TV direct eg with Netflix or Prime I can’t change the volume using my LG magic remote etc.

8 replies

You have to set up both remotes to use the same IR codes. Make one of them ‘emulate’ the other. The Sonos will only recognize one set of IR codes. 

If you have your Arc connected to the TV via ARC or eARC, then your TV should be able to control the Arcs volume using CEC controls.  Of course, the TV would have to be on in that situation.

Agreed….but both remotes would still have to use the TV’s IR codes ;)

Actually, I think Sonos has their own IR codes, right?  With my current setup, my TV remote controls volume via CEC, so it only works when the TV is on.  My cable remote communicates directly to Sonos, so it works whether the TV is on or not.

I don’t think so. I think it’s just reading the TV’s IR codes and reacting to that, without the TV being on. But I’m not 100% sure about that, either.

Since the IR systems that Sonos has on their Home theater devices are all designed to be pass through, it’s hard to believe they have a ‘native’ set of codes. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1976?language=en_US

These are them, no?  

I actually thought you were right after your last post, and didn’t expect my google search to turn up anything.  I’m also not 100% sure if my cable remote was using an emulation process, like you’re suggesting, or direct IR codes.  I am pretty sure that the fireTV cube though, which also controls via IR, is using the Sonos codes...if I recall the setup correctly.

Guys thank you for the suggestions I will test tomorrow and hopefully get it working

Interesting. Yes, I’m apparently wrong. Thanks for googling that.