Answered

Sonos Arc switches to TV speaker

• 12 November 2020
  • 17 replies

My Sonos ARC has been playing fine. However, occasionally when I turn off my system (TV & Cable Box) and later turn it back on I only get sound from my TV speakers. I then have to disconnect (Unplug) my TV, Cable Box and the Sonos ARC for 30 seconds. When I plug everything back in and turn on the system I then get sound from my Sonos ARC. This happens about 3 times a week. My Sonos ARC is connected to  my Samsung Q7FD series TV via HDMI ARC. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Simon B 14 November 2020, 22:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jmb0501, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue with your Sonos Arc and TV. For us to see the current status of your Sonos system, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help. 

Hi Simon B, I’m new to the community and Sonos. I would like to submit a diagnostic report but where do I find the confirmation number?

Confirmation number 1149104540

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jmb0501, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. Upon checking, it shows that the Sonos Arc is offline, Kindly try to do a power cycle on it, Unplug it for 1-2 minutes from the power source and replug it back in. same with the HSMI Arc cable, unplug it from the Sonos Arc and the TV and replug it back in. 

Hi Simon B, I’ve completed the power cycle and the same with the HDMI cable on the ARC. Everything appears to be working. I’m getting a steady white light. This is the recent confirmation number 849193827

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jmb0501, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. Upon checking the diagnostic report. It shows that It is still offline. It’s possible that the diagnostic was taken when it’s still not turned off. But if it already works fine. That’s great!.

If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you.  

Hi Simon B,  I’m a little concerned that the report shows offline. The diagnostic report was taken with the system on. Sound was coming from the ARC. When switching to Sonos Radio, I was getting music from the various radio stations which would indicate to me that I am online. Is there an easy way to see if I’m on line and what wifi network?  Please be aware that as far as I know I am using the Sonos Boost for the wifi network.

Again, thank you,

Jim

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jmb0501, thanks for the update, I apologize for the mistake. I checked back the diagnostic result, and the Sonos Arc is online. But the two Sonos One SL’s are not getting any connection. Kindly try to power cycle or unplug it from the power source for 1-2 minutes and plug it back in. and run another diagnostic so we can check if all speakers will be connected. 

Hi Simon B, I hate to be a pain in the a** but now I have no sound coming from my ARC or my two One SL speakers. I don’t believe I’m connecting to my Boost network. The Sonos app under network indicates that I’m using my router network and not my Sonos boost network. Also, on my Iphone I do not see the Sonos boost network in the wifi setting; I only see the router network. As far as I know, the Sonos devices should be on the boost network.

I did power cycle the two One SL’s. 

I think the reason I’m not getting any sound from my system is that I’m not connecting to the Sonos boost network. I’m not sure why I’m not recognizing the Sonos boost network and whether it’s my Iphone setup or the Sonos setup? 

The new confirmation number is 335731773

Please help!

Have a great weekend and thanks,

Jim

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jmb0501, thanks for the update and for sending another diagnostic report of your Sonos system, Sorry about what happened, Upon checking the diagnostic information it detects that the CEC settings for the Sonos Arc are disabled on the TV, Kindly check the CEC settings on your TV to make sure it is enabled. If that doesn’t work still, We'll take this further. 

Hi Simon B, My CEC Anynet+ is enabled on my TV. I unpluged everything the pluged everything back in. Everything seems to be working. I’m getting sound from my ARC and two One SL speakers. The new diagnostic number is 1583982642.

I believe I still have the problem when turning the system off and then later when I turn it on the audio is coming from the TV speakers and not the ARC. In order for me to get audio from the ARC I have to unplug everything then plug everything back. It seem like that’s the only thing the works. Next time I turn my system on and the audio is coming from the TV, I’ll sent you a diagnostic report.

Thanks!

Jim

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jmb0501, thanks for the update and sending another diagnostic report. It shows that the CEC for the TV is now enabled. If you experience the same issue, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you.  

Please, feel free to let me know if you require any further information.

Thank you Simon B for all your help. If I have any more issues I will let you know. 

Have a great rest of the weekend and stay safe.

Jim

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jmb0501, thanks for the update. If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi, I am having exactlly the same problem as @jmb0501 , where although the Sonos Arc works fine generally, every time you switch off the tv for a time and then switch back on, the tv reverts to the tv audio and I then have to unplug at the mains and plug in again to get sonos back,

My tv is a Samsung 6 series about 3 or 4 years old and is connected to sonos via hdmi Arc.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Phil Holden

Hi Phil, I still have the same problem and for now I’ve learned to live with it. I have a Samsung also. Its the QLED Q7FD. I believe it’s a 2017 model. I’m not sure if it is the TV or the ARC. I did read somewhere that the problem could be with the TV HDMI arc input. When the TV is turned on it does not always recognize the Sonos ARC via HDMI arc. I don’t have a solution but I’m not giving up. Good Luck!

Hi jmb0501,

It is certainly frustrating but as you say may have to live with it. Maybe only other option is upgrading to TV with Earc input but not willing to do that as nothing wrong with the tv I have.

cheers