Question

Sonos Arc Popping & Audio Switching

• 12 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi there, 

I purchased the Arc and have it set up with Gen 3 Sub and two Play Ones/ SL. I have this connected to my 2021 LG 55 CX TV via the 2.1 connection. In addition I have a PS4 Pro and Apple TV 4K connected to the other HDMI ports. As far as I know I have this connected as planned and setting set up correctly. EG Atmos works, 5.1PCM on TV etc. The problems I have are: 

• When switching from PS4 to Netflix for example the sound stops working. So I pause the game and put PS4 into rest mode. Then head to Netflix and the sound doesn't work. I end up turning the TV off and it works
  • I have heard popping from the Arc going from one device to another

Any thoughts? 

Cheers

Sean

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Fullerboy5, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about your Sonos Arc, so we can check on this concern. and also check on the status of the whole Sonos system. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi Simon, 

I have submitted the report. 497020340

cheers

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Fullerboy5, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking. I saw that there is Interference detected with the Sonos Arc. Kindly check this link about Reducing wireless interference for further reference. I’m also thinking about the other HDMI enabled devices that is connected to the TV that may cause interference with the Sonos Arc. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi there, how do I know if I have cleared that interference? I have checked all HDMIs into the TV, ensured all Apple TV. PS4 is on the same wifi 5ghz. and Sonos is on 2.4ghz? 

What else can I do? Is there a recommendation for example all tvs ad stuff should be on 5ghz or the same 2.4ghz for example? 

Sean

Latest Diagnostics

Sean

Just as a note, the Arc connects to your Wi-Fi on a 2.4Ghz channel for music purposes, if it isn’t wired. Of course, the HDMI cable connects it to the TV. However, the bonded speakers, which are the surrounds and Sub,  would connect to a special hidden 5Ghz network created by the Arc. 

If you’re having issues with the Arc cutting out when playing music, and not the TV source, your more likely to have interference in the 2.4Ghz channel. 

If you’re having cutouts in the surround speakers, or the Sub, you’re more likely to be having interference in the 5Ghz area. 

It’s always worth reviewing the wifi interference FAQ, while you wait for Simon to be able to respond. 

Thanks Bruce

the drop outs occur when I with between Ps4 to the tv for example. or if I have been playing music and switch to the TV, The tv will come on but no sound. Its like the EArc is slow to understand the switch of source change

Sean

eARC is all managed by the hub of the system, which is your TV set. Sonos is merely a client to that system. The Sonos tells the hub that it is a speaker, and that it requires X codec(s), which the TV then has to tell any source devices what to send. So, it’s vital that all devices ‘work’ properly together, which means updating software on all devices, especially the TV, and making sure that ahDMI CEC is properly turned  on, and the cables that connect each device are ‘new’ enough to carry the correct information back and forth. 

It’s unfortunate that many ‘older spec’ HDMI cables are not labeled with what version of the HDMI spec they support, and likely causes some issues for people. However, that’s a generic statement, I’m not suggesting that’s the issue you’re having in particular. I don’t have access to the diagnostic, and can’t see the same data as Simon can. I’m just adding additional information in case there might be something in the details that helps you, or others who might read this thread.