Sonos Arc issues with Samsung MU8000 + other issues

• 12 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I am attempting to setup a Sonos Arc + Sub with a Samsung MU8000TV from 2017 (UN65MU8000FXZA).  I am running into issues at every turn, but I will start with the beginning:

First off, I have an existing Sonos S1 setup in place all with old Amps (this will come into play with one of my issues).  I did setup a new Sonos S2 implementation, and was able to add the Sonos Arc and Sub into a new Room.  The Sonos Arc is connected to the HDMI4 input on the TV, which is labeled as HDMI ARC.  In the settings for the TV, I have configured HDMI Input Audio Format as Bitstream.  As soon as the Arc was added, the Sonos app attempts to perform the TV setup.  When I get to the “Test connection” part, it fails every time, with the error “ARC Mode not connected”.  That’s my first issue.  Any reason why this is not working?

For now, I just exit out of the TV Setup in the Sonos app (but I would like to get that working!).  The next issue is actually getting sound out of the Sonos Arc when playing something from another device connected to my Samsung TV, an Apple TV 4K.  No matter what I did, the Sonos Arc would just not output any sound.  The only way I can get any sound to output (and that includes menu confirmation sounds from the TV when accessing the Samsung TV’s menu) is to select TV Autoplay in the Sonos app within the Room settings.  I don’t understand why I have to do this, and I have no idea if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I find it odd that I had to select that option to get any sound out of my Samsung TV.  Is it supposed to work when you do not have TV Autoplay selected?

I figured I would just keep going with my setup, so I moved on to configuring the Arc to work with my Logitech Harmony remote that utilizes the Harmony Hub.  In the Harmony app, I went to add a new device, and searched for Sonos Arc.  At that point, the Harmony app does a scan on my network for Sonos devices.  Unfortunately, it only finds all of my old Sonos Amps running on the existing Sonos S1 configuration. Rescanning just finds the same items.  So when I am presented the list of Sonos devices (all Amps and no Arc), and I de-select all of the Amps, all I’m left with is a Skip button that simply exits adding a new device without actually adding anything.  I only want to use my Harmony Remote for controlling the volume on the Sonos Arc, so I need to get this working.

I was really looking forward to getting everything setup and working properly, so any responses would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +2

I was able to solve the third issue in regards to the Harmony Hub integration myself.  I read somewhere that some users who have both S1 and S2 environments at home were able to get the Harmony software to detect S2 by disconnecting/powering off all of their S1 environment.  I turned off power to all my S1 amps, and then the Harmony app was able to detect the Arc, and control it properly.

So problem 3 is solved, I just need help with issues 1 and 2 :)

Badge +2

It’s been 11 days since I originally posted asking for help.  Unfortunately, no responses from Sonos support to either my post, or the case that was opened.  I did a lot of research on my end, and this is what I came up with:

I found some very long threads online (mostly on the Samsung forums) with many people with lots of issues with ARC/eARC ports on their Samsung TVs.  It wasn’t just my model, but multiple models.  And even those who were able to get their Samsung TV to recognize their sound bar (Sonos Arc or otherwise) were not able to keep it working consistently.  I knew alone would be an issue, so I made some changes in my configuration.  I ended up placing the Arc in a different room, but more importantly, choosing a different TV to pair with it.  I went with a Sony X900H, and it’s working fantastically.  I am able to get Atmos output out of both my Apple TV 4K and my Xbox One X.  I now understand how ARC/eARC sound bars are just supposed to “work” when the TV is functioning properly.

Badge

I have the same UN65MU8000FXZA Samsung TV and I’m upgrading my playbar to the sonos arc. The new speaker should be arriving within a few days. Now that I’ve read your post, I’m thinking I’ve made a mistake in purchasing the sonos arc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @fcapizzo & @RORO V,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community. There have indeed been some challenges with Samsung TVs due to their implementation of HDMI-ARC, however we do have a workaround for some of those issues packaged in an upcoming software update.

If you are still having trouble with the connection between the Arc and your Samsung TV, then I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call - they have more tools available for live troubleshooting :)

Badge +2

@RORO V , neither of the 2 soundbars I tried to connect to my UN65MU8000FXZA via HDMI ARC were detected at all (JBL Bar 5.1 and Sonos Arc).  The TV was already on the latest firmware and out of the warranty period.  If I wanted to get the full use of the Sonos Arc, including Dolby Atmos, I knew I’d have to pair up the Arc with a different TV.  I know that’s not really a “solution” as much as a workaround, however I’d like to point out that the issue has nothing to do with the Sonos Arc, and everything to do with the Samsung TV.

@RORO V , it’s possible your UN65MU8000FXZA will work just fine with the Sonos Arc, but you won’t know until you try it.

Badge

I’ve been researching the web and spoke to the Bestbuy Magnolia Home Theater guys. They told me my best option for the time being is to use the optical output I’m currently using with my Playbar once I’ve received the Sonos Arc. I didn’t realize the new Arc came with an adapter to utilize an optical cable. Ultimately I will need to update the Television. Funny I just downloaded a firmware update from the Samsung web page. Thanks for your help.