Question

Sonos Arc dts-x?

Does anyone know if Sonos will ever support the DTS sound formats in the near future?  DOLBY is only half of the equation, and with nearly 1/3 of the movies now being made support DTS formats.   There are several manufacturers of soundbar's that currently support both formats now.  I am thinking of canceling my order for the new ARC for a surround system that supports both now.  Anyone heard anything?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Currently, there’s no indication that it will support anything other than TrueHD on eARC, or Dolby Digital Plus on HDMI ARC.  But since the new software hasn’t yet been released, we just don’t know.

Ok thanks for your response Bruce!  I forgot I have 100 days to return the item if it does not do what I am looking for.  Having said that, I will continue with my order and see how it goes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Modern TVs are dropping support for DTS over optical and ARC, so I think it is unlikely that Sonos will change their long-time lack of support for it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Modern, as in 4k UHDTV’s, released in 2020 basically ALL support DTS and other codecs. Usually not over optical since the bandwidth isn't enough. New UHDTV’s pretty much all have eArc and most models past 2018 have at least Arc via HDMI. If Sonos wants to even come close the the top notch LG SN-11rg and the Samsung HW-950T they are back in the 1990’s. The LG and Samsung give more and cost less. Get on it Sonos 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Modern, as in 4k UHDTV’s, released in 2020 basically ALL support DTS and other codecs. Usually not over optical since the bandwidth isn't enough. New UHDTV’s pretty much all have eArc and most models past 2018 have at least Arc via HDMI. If Sonos wants to even come close the the top notch LG SN-11rg and the Samsung HW-950T they are back in the 1990’s. The LG and Samsung give more and cost less. Get on it Sonos 

DTS pass-through is dropped by recent Samsung and LG sets. Check rtings.com for details. And optical has plenty of bandwidth for DTS.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have the 1 month old LG 65CX UHDTV and my DTS gets passed through. I don’t need to check rtgns.com. I have one. No offense meant. I am not a bandwidth expert but that was what I had read at a source such as rtgns.com. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

That is model LG OLED 65CXPUA.

I'm in the same boat, I am considering returning my Arc, it's not cheap and I'm not paying this premium to listen to great cinema in stereo, that's just ludicrous to me.

I doubt they will, but fingers crossed they mention a firmware update accommodating DTS before I return mine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Don’t hold your breath. I have a system in my master bedroom that doesn't use discs so I will stick with Sonos there. Unfortunately for my main room, I will just wait until I can get a new LG-SN11RG. A new Sonos Arc is about a month away at any rate so here we wait. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I'm in the same boat, I am considering returning my Arc, it's not cheap and I'm not paying this premium to listen to great cinema in stereo, that's just ludicrous to me.

I doubt they will, but fingers crossed they mention a firmware update accommodating DTS before I return mine.

This won’t happens… if DTS is a MUST to you, you can return it immediately.

Personally I think it’s better to study the specifications and features of the product before purchasing it.

This won’t happens… if DTS is a MUST to you, you can return it immediately.

Personally I think it’s better to study the specifications and features of the product before purchasing it.

I have, but I never realized how many movies only offer DTS until I couldn’t effectively play them with the Sonos ARC. All things considered, one hdmi connection, no bluetooth, and no DTS at this premium price point with no sub or additional satellites is a bit nutty. Wish they put the same effort into the feature set like they did designing the 96.1% paper packaging for the ARC. 

Again, it is tuned beautifully but it stings to have a premium product with less.

I have the 1 month old LG 65CX UHDTV and my DTS gets passed through. I don’t need to check rtgns.com. I have one. No offense meant. I am not a bandwidth expert but that was what I had read at a source such as rtgns.com. 

You may want to recheck your output settings. I have the GX, which is practically its twin, and anytime I try to force DTS to the TV, it states that it is an unsupported audio codec. Many others on the LG forums confirmed the same issue, even passthrough for it is disabled.