Answered

Sonos Amp with a Beam Gen 2

• 9 October 2021
  • 4 replies

My current layout is I have a Sonos Amp with 4 in wall speakers 1 left front, 1 left rear, 1 right front, 1 right rear.  The left front and rear are on the left channel and the right front and rear are on the right channel.  The amp is connected to my TV via HDMI ARC and the tv controls the volume of the Amp.  

My question is if I purchase a Sonos Beam Gen 2, is it possible to connect the Beam to the Amp to “act” as a center channel?  The tv currently controls the volume on the Amp, I would like the Amp and Beam to both work with the volume control of the tv.  Is this possible?  If so how would I connect this all together?  My TV does not have two HDMI ARC outputs it also has an optical out but I do not believe this works if the output is already designated to the HDMI ARC.  I don’t need the Amp to power the Beam, I would just like it to act as a center channel.  

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 October 2021, 03:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

No, it is not possible. The only home theater setup you can have with a Beam and Amp is the Beam acting alone as the center, left front, and right front channels and an Amp bonded to the Beam as rear surrounds for a 5.0 setup. And adding a Sub would complete the 5.1 system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could also buy a new Amp and use that as a surround to the first. You’d connect the front channels to the Amp that’s connected to the TV and the rear speakers to the new Amp. The front Amp will compute a “phantom” center speaker.

No, it is not possible. The only home theater setup you can have with a Beam and Amp is the Beam acting alone as the center, left front, and right front channels and an Amp bonded to the Beam as rear surrounds for a 5.0 setup. And adding a Sub would complete the 5.1 system.

If I did this, how would I connect the Beam so it works in conjunction with the Amp?  In other words to have them both work with the TV remote controlling the volume?  You mentioned “bonded”?  How would it be wired together?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It wouldn't be. You'd set up the Beam and add the Amp as surround. Soundbars and surrounds are bonded via a dedicated 5Ghz wireless connection.

Add surround speakers to a Sonos home theater | Sonos