Question

Sonos Amp with 2 passive speakers and 1 Passive Subwoofer (for exterior deck)

• 17 July 2019
  • 4 replies

I have a new Sonos Amp and am setting it up with 2 passive Bose 451 exterior speakers and want to install a subwoofer as well. Most exterior subwoofers are passive and not powered, is this compatible with the new Sonos Amp???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

My impression of most of the posts about issues with third party subs is the challenge in matching the sensitivity of the sub’s input with the output of the Amp, but I’ve no first person experience. There’s certainly not a list of “these subs work, these don’t” floating around on this forum. In theory, all third party subs should be able to function with the output of a Sonos Amp.

Do you know if it has to be a specific type or brand of external amp for the sub?  I’m trying to set mine up using a Rockville RP9 external amp plugged into the sub out on the Sonos amp.  The Rockville amp is acting like it’s not receiving a signal from the Sonos amp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A powered sub makes the most sense but if you already have an un-powered one a good mono amp hooked the the sub and Sonos Amp Sub Output would work.
No, it would need to be a powered sub.