Answered

Sonos Amp - play different things on speakers

• 31 March 2019
  • 3 replies

If I have 3 sets of speakers connected to one Sonos Amp (living, kitchen and bedroom)
Can I play different music through the seperate speakers

Can I select to play sound through only one set of speakers ?

Cheers
Andy
icon

Best answer by Kumar 31 March 2019, 07:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No for the first - all the music passes via the one speaker terminal pair on the Sonos Amp and so different music cannot be played.
Yes for the second - in a crude way, by disconnecting all but the desired set of speakers. If this is a frequent need, a switch installed in each speaker cable run is better.
I suppose you know about the need to not overload the amp if wiring more than one pair of speakers to it and the best way to do this is via an impedance matching switch between the speaker terminals and the speaker pairs. This usually has a way to control the volume levels of each speaker wired to the output ends of the switch.
Thanks Kumar - yes I think I am just going to wait until someone (Google/Sonos) releases an in ceiling speaker that is WiFi enabled. All this messing around with cables and remotes does not seem worth it.
You could get a Sonos One unit, perhaps on a returnable basis, and see how that works for you; it is small enough to be discreetly kept somewhere out of harms way and still do a good job of music making. It just needs to be in the vicinity of a power outlet so as to not need a long power cable run. If you add more units in other rooms you can have them play either different or the same music everywhere.