Answered

Sonos amp centre channel

• 15 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I have a Beam with sonos sub and play 1 speakers in my living room and I am looking to replace the Beam with sonos amp and Mission floorstanding speakers. The reason for planning that is because I think it might give me a good option for music and movies in same area rather than setting up the speaker in another room. I don't have an amplifier so need to get one if I set the speaker separately. I don't know how well the phantom centre works for movies with sonos amp as there is no option for that whereas from the beam dialogue is quite clear. Hope you could share your thoughts. Thanks

icon

Best answer by Alan Mead 16 November 2019, 16:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I had the Amp connected to TV and used it for TV sound as well as stereo through two B&W 704’s. I recently tried a different amp with a dedicated center channel speaker. The sound and dialogue were excellent. Just to be sure I tried a Beam and decided to keep the Beam (paired with a Sub) for TV and the Sonos Amp for music. I brought the other amp and the center channel back. I am very happy with this setup. And regarding the dialogue: it was good with the amp using a phantom center channel but I think it is slightly better from the Beam and Sub.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I had the Amp connected to TV and used it for TV sound as well as stereo through two B&W 704’s. I recently tried a different amp with a dedicated center channel speaker. The sound and dialogue were excellent. Just to be sure I tried a Beam and decided to keep the Beam (paired with a Sub) for TV and the Sonos Amp for music. I brought the other amp and the center channel back. I am very happy with this setup. And regarding the dialogue: it was good with the amp using a phantom center channel but I think it is slightly better from the Beam and Sub.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply.

So you have the Beam and sub for the TV and Sonos amp powering the B&W 704s in the same room? 

I might get the amp and try it with the TV first before making any changes, the dialogue in movies is very clear when using the beam but I am looking to change to Mission floorstanding speakers and amp to get good stereo music.

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The amp and the tv are in the same room. The B&W’s are right beside the tv, about 6 inches away. I love the B&W’s for music and the Beam with Sub for tv. It’s pretty good for music, too; but the B&W’s with the Amp is better. The phantom center was really good; but again, the Beam with Sub is slightly better for dialogue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

The amp and the tv are in the same room. The B&W’s are right beside the tv, about 6 inches away. I love the B&W’s for music and the Beam with Sub for tv. It’s pretty good for music, too; but the B&W’s with the Amp is better. The phantom center was really good; but again, the Beam with Sub is slightly better for dialogue.

Thanks Alan, will see how it works out but has given me some ideas