Sonos Amp

• 18 January 2021
  • 9 replies

It says if I use Sonos amp with a wired sub along with 4 wire ceiling speakers for home theater for my TV the SUB would not work.  Why is that?

If I use the Sonos Wireless sub instead, then can I would it work for my TV home theater along with the 4 ceiling speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No. The Sonos Amp, when used as a home theater Amp, is capable of driving two front speakers (left and right) and creating a ‘faux’ center channel, along with supplying a subwoofer signal out. However, it does not have the capability of simultaneously driving a pair of surround speakers, although it can send the surround signal either to a pair of Sonos speakers, or another Sonos Amp that are depriving your own speakers.

When being used to drive surround speakers, any Sonos Amp has the subwoofer and line in jacks turned off. 

Thanks for the reply.  I’m dumb when it comes to a lot of the terms you used....

So can I use 1 Sonos Amp with 4 ceiling speakers and a wireless Sonos sub for tv surround sound?  Or would that require 2 amps?

Sorry, I edited my first sentence there, unused was an autocorrect of used, on this iPad, apparently.

The Sonos Amp can drive four speakers, when the speakers are properly matched, impedance wise. However, in that configuration, both pairs of speakers would be replicating the ‘front’ speakers of a home theater setup, and thus creating essentially two ‘faux’ center channels, which would likely be aurally confusing. I’d recommend instead using one Amp to drive one pair of those speakers as fronts, and a second Amp to drive the other pair as surrounds. 

It says if I use Sonos amp with a wired sub along with 4 wire ceiling speakers for home theater for my TV the SUB would not work.  Why is that?

If I use the Sonos Wireless sub instead, then can I would it work for my TV home theater along with the 4 ceiling speakers?

You have misunderstood, I think.  As Bruce says, you can run the front speakers, including the phantom centre, using an Amp.  You can add a Sonos Sub to that, or a wired, powered non-Sonos subwoofer.  For the rear surrounds you need another Amp and speakers, or a pair of Sonos powered speakers, such as a pair of One SLs.  You cannot get full surround sound from a single Amp.

But please, i implore you, don’t use ceiling speakers for a HT system, at least not for the fronts.  It would be TERRIBLE.

I wasn’t intending to go there, but yes, I do agree with John (as usual). Having been in homes where ceiling speakers are used as front home theater speakers, I concur that it sounds horrible to me, and you lose all ‘directionality’ of the voices, which are supposed to come from the vicinity of the Tav, not the ceiling. Aesthetically, ceiling speakers are great, they disappear from sight, but as TV speakers, for me, they’re a fail. But I have tried to stress, that’s a personal thing. Your mileage may vary. 

Ceiling for HT is no good?  My new house is already wired with holes cut for the speakers and capped.  

would the Arc Sound bar with wireless sub be a better choice for HT?

what are ceiling speakers good for?  Just playing music?

Ceiling for HT is no good?  My new house is already wired with holes cut for the speakers and capped.  

would the Arc Sound bar with wireless sub be a better choice for HT?

what are ceiling speakers good for?  Just playing music?

It’s a matter of opinion, so here are my thoughts on the matter. Ceiling speakers are a good option 1st when you have no choice but to use ceiling speakers.  Second, ceiling speakers make sense when there isn’t any clear seating area, or area to focus the sound to/from.  When watching TV, you almost always want audio coming from the direction of the TV screen, and you have a defined seating area.  So ceiling speakers are a bad choice.

However, there are locations where the listening area isn’t as clearly defined, such as a kitchen, bathroom, or hallway.  IMO, there’s little downside from audio coming from the ceiling.  I also think ceiling speakers work ok for non-critical TV watching areas, such as an outdoor patio space.  I just don’t feel like I need to hear audio coming from the TV in that case, and the speakers will be used mostly for music anyway.

As far as whether Arc or Amp is a better choice for HT, I would say the Arc is a better choice for most people.  The amp has the advantage of allowing you to place speakers wider than the Arc can do, increasing the soundstage, but many people don’t have the space for that, and would rather have the Arc’s atmos capabilities.

I can only give my opinion, which is that ceiling speakers are discreet and good for background music. 

But just try to imagine yourself watching people talking on the screen in front of you, but the words seem to be coming from several feet above your head.   Well, I am just saying what Bruce has said already..…

You might be OK for the rear surrounds as ceiling speakers,  although it wouldn't be my choice. 

IMO you would get a much better result with the Arc.

Thanks guys, this helps!

I will probably do an arc soundbar with a wireless sub no matter what.

in addition, add to it either a pair of SL Ones behind the couch on a table or possibly just use the rear ceiling speakers above the couch with an amp instead of speakers in all 4 ceiling locations.