Is Sonos a good fit for a dedicated theater room?

• 24 February 2017
  • 4 replies

I have a large 28' x 22' dedicated room that I'm building for a home theater. I have an existing Sonos 5.1 setup in my upstairs living room and it works well. My question is would the same type of setup be a good idea for the theater room as well or should I go with a more traditional component setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
I would go with the more traditional components and add a Sonos Connect to that system.
Honestly, I would too. With space that large, I'd go with something that would handle Atmos, DTS, etc. Something more than 5.1.
Even for 5.1, Sonos is a compromise and a dedicated HT room deserves better, that it can also easily accommodate. I don't see any place for any Sonos kit there either, unless you plan to only listen to music there as well. A Chromecast kind of device would serve better.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
No. I am sure you have seen and know that Sonos will NOT decode the majority of Blu-Ray disc audio. The only decoding they do is Dolby Digital. No DTSHD, Dolby Digital+ Atmos, 7.1 or anything else. If you are building and actual room for theater, (I am), I would be looking at Emotive-XMC1 pre-amp, Emotiva 7 channel amp, Definitive Technology BP900 series speakers, Oppo-203d Disc player, and pretty much any LG OLED screen.