Sonos 14.0 and it’s Odd Updates

• 25 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Just an opinion but I find it odd that Sonos does not use its full number updates for major capabilities and enhancements. Not a complaint just weird to me. Hoping for abig update such as its own voice control but maybe soon. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

agreed. The last 12 and 13 updates introduced some new big features, 14.0 hasn’t added any new major features so a bit strange.

Makes one wonder if all the ‘major’ changes were in the backend, and not facing us directly….

Makes one wonder if all the ‘major’ changes were in the backend, and not facing us directly….

That is my thought. The change could be more foundational, a framework that’s needed for future changes.  Possible they wanted to do this first so that the next change has a smaller footprint?  I have no idea.

Either that or the numbers are not based on the content of the change, but based on dates or some other reasoning.

Userlevel 7

Maybe someone just thought 13 was unlucky and wanted to move on

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

You may be on to something. The app update was really quick for me (less than a minute) but the updating of the system took a good 5+ minutes for me.

I’m new to Sonos, but looking back through the update history, it seems that a “major version bump” usually happens with the first update of a new year.