Answered

Some tracks on my Sonos playlist are skipped!

Hi there,

I noticed some tracks on a Sonos Playlist I created some years ago can’t be played anymore. The player would skip them and go directly to next track. I never encountered this issue before. I have my tracks on my personal server which is connected to my Wi-Fi router and my Connect system is also connected to this router. The playlist was created some years ago, before Sonos started to mess up with different controllers. My controller is now called S1. S2, apparently, is not compatible with my Connect. Though I have also a black Amp that would be compatible with S2  but I don’t want to use 2 different controllers

On the other end when I go to directly to my music library and play the tracks directly, outside the playlist, there are no issues.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 April 2021, 17:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

What’s the size of the playlist? How many tracks/playlists are we taking about in your Sonos setup? Library size/tracks etc.

I’m just wondering if you are perhaps possibly reaching some kind of track or playlist limitations that the Connect hardware, or the S1 software may have. (Just as an initial first thought?🤔)

Hi there,

Not that much, around 60-70 tracks I would guess.

Perhaps see if there is anything in this Sonos Support document that may help:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4880

This has nothing to do with Sonos controllers, which are just remote controls.  All the playlist information is stored on the speakers.  

Please try the following experiment.  Pick one of the tracks that plays from the Music Library but skips in a playlist.  Add that track to the playlist.  Does the freshly-added version play or skip in the playlist?

The chances are that a folder path in the original playlist is stale and now broken. Sometimes one can be sharp-eyed enough to note the error popup on the mobile controller.  The Win/Mac Desktop Controller has a persistent error log which may be more useful.

Thanks for the answers! I created my playlist when I just had my little Connect. Now I also have a black Amp in my network. Is the playlist still stored on the Connect, even whem I'm just listening from the Amp?

That's right when the tracks are skipped I get an error popup but it is so fast that it gives me hardly some time to read it. My controller is on an Android phone.

Playlists are stored on every player/speaker. I think if you tried my suggested experiment you would find that the tracks will play when the file path points to the current location for the file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ManuMac 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

iTunes (or Apple Music as it’s called now, annoyingly similar to Apple Music which is a streaming service), for example, can rearrange your music files into folders named after the metadata in the files. If the metadata for some files was adjusted, they may now sit in different folders or have slightly different filenames. I recommend you follow @John B’s experiment advice, as you’ll probably find that the playlist entries are just needing updated to reflect these changes. The fact that these tracks play if selected manually supports this.

Hi there!!

Thanks a lot for all the good help! Indeed the files played well from the direct location in the music library. Now I removed the tracks that skipped from the playlist and added them again. It seems to work nicely. Great!

Does this mean now that the playlist in updated in both Sonos clients: the Connect and the Amp?

Thanks again

Hi there!!

Thanks a lot for all the good help! Indeed the files played well from the direct location in the music library. Now I removed the tracks that skipped from the playlist and added them again. It seems to work nicely. Great!

Does this mean now that the playlist in updated in both Sonos clients: the Connect and the Amp?

Thanks again

Yes.  Any changes are copied to every speaker and player in the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ManuMac 

Glad to hear it - thanks for letting us know!

Yes. You needn’t do anything else (apart from enjoy the tunes!).

Edit: Too slow again :(