Question

Some Help/Advice would be gratefully received

• 13 April 2017
  • 4 replies

So, am thinking of investing in 2 x Play1 and a Play 3 Device for the rooms. I would also like to get the Connect device. Let me explain my setup.
Presently, I have a Technics separate system, including MiniDisc (dont laugh), MultiCD and Record Player. We use this setup presently to play and listen to Old Vinyl, Mini Disc Recordings and obviously existing CD Collection. I also have a iTunes playlist stored on a Western Digitial NAS, nearly 250Gb worth of ripped CD's.
We also use Spotify on iPhones/iPads/Android phones.

I also have a 3 x 4kHD ANDROID SONY TV's dotted around the house, with the main one in the living room being Sony Android TV with wired soundbar and bass driver. (PS4 connected also).

I am also re-wiring the house to effectively give WIred Ethernet to any smart enabled device, including TV's. WiFi signal is OK, but I just dont trust it enough.

So, question time.
I would like to be able to listen to anything from the technics system, ANYWHERE in the house, Is this possible, and what would I need?
I would like to be able to listen to ANY music from any Device (iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows laptop) in any room - Is this possible and what would I need?
Could I use the Play3 as a "wireless" soundbar from my TV - is this possible, what else would I need for this?
Could I use the Play1 as a wireless speaker from any of the other TV's - is this possible, what else would I need for this?
Effectively ethernet is going to be going to smart TV's along with Satellite Sky Q Boxes (UK) so may as well run additional ethernet to Sonos at same time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Wow, a lot of questions. Let me start, and others will chime in, I'm sure.

I would like to be able to listen to anything from the technics system, ANYWHERE in the house, Is this possible, and what would I need?

Yes, a Connect would be the recommended device to get anything from your Technics into the Sonos environment. Just connect it to an audio out (usually a tape out), and understand that there would be an ~75ms delay as it buffers the data to send out to the Sonos system (i.e. playing Sonos speakers and the Technic's speakers will give you a headache. If you connect the Connect Audio out to an input on your Technics, then you've be able to stream any Sonos stream simultaneously using the Technic's speakers along with the Sonos speakers)

I would like to be able to listen to ANY music from any Device (iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows laptop) in any room - Is this possible and what would I need?

Any Sonos Speaker would allow you to do that. All you have to do is point the app to the location where the music is, and the speaker goes out to get it and play it. Note: it's not a push system, it's only a pull system, so you can't "play" Youtube videos or games on your laptop and expect it to go to the sonos system.

Could I use the Play3 as a "wireless" soundbar from my TV - is this possible, what else would I need for this?

Yes, and no. The Play:3 doesn't have an analog or digital input, it's only a wireless receiver. Technically, you could potentially get another Connect, and run analog output from the TV to the inputs on the Connect, and then push that to the Play:3, but it would be restricted to Stereo. I'd recommend considering a Playbar or Playbase, which connects to the TV with an optical cord, and can deal with an up to Dolby Digital signal. You could then potentially get another pair of Play:x speakers to bond with it, as well as a SUB, and end up with a 5.1 equivalent system. I have 2 of these, and like them a lot. Mind you, if you take that signal, and push it out to any other speakers than are in the 5.1 system, you'll also get that 70 to 75ms delay, but I don't consider that to be a big issue, since my speakers are in other rooms, not the TV room.

Could I use the Play1 as a wireless speaker from any of the other TV's - is this possible, what else would I need for this?

See my answer above. Hard to do, but it's possible. Wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this helps. Others will chime in with their own experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So Bruce did a great job with the answers... I have two things to add...

On the first question regarding the Technics receiver... noting that you have MD (BTW, nothing wrong with that, it was a semi-viable portable digital recording technology for a while!), if the MD player is connected to your receiver with a digital connection, then it's likely you won't get the audio from that through the analog Tape Out. Most newer receivers don't convert a digital audio input to the analog output, so that might not work. Of course, it's also possible that it could work, since different manufacturers can do things differently.

On the third question about "any music on any device"... for music stored on your iOS/Android devices, you'll only be able to play that music using the app on that device. For example, say you have an iPhone and an Android tablet. You keep a bunch of music in the Music app on your iPhone. The Android tablet won't be able to play any of the music stored on the iPhone, only the Sonos app on the iPhone can play that music through your Sonos system. Music on the Windows laptop will need to be shared to the network, so any other device will be able to select music to play from the laptop, as long as the laptop is turned on.
i want to use my play 5 at work and at home on 2 different wifi. Can i do that?
Maybe best to start a new thread for that as it is a completely unrelated issue