Software feature request: Options for fixed group(s), fixed setting(s)

• 9 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
I have 9 Sonos devices now, and my system is still growing... There are areas in my house that I would like to semi-permanently group together, and label that subgroup of devices (master bedroom, master bathroom, and master closet could become one subgroup). I predict I would never want to address these areas separately, yet in the current software, I must. I understand I could make a stereo group with both Play:1 speakers, but I reject that partial solution due to wanting mono in each room; I don't want left in one room and right in a different room. Another feature that would be nice, using my above example, I'm using a Connect:Amp to power a pair of ceiling speakers in the master bedroom, while using a Play:1 in the master bathroom, and a Play:1 in the master closet. I always have to set the volume of the master bedroom slightly higher (let's say 10% more) to match the levels when I'm moving from room to room. If I could subgroup these systems semi-permanently, I'd also like for the software to remember my relative volume settings within the subgroup, instead of now, manually adjusting it every time... This could be as simple as a check-box option to "lock" in a subgroup of devices, and adding a "lock" checkbox for relative volume control in the room settings dialog.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's an oft requested feature so Sonos are aware of it. But it's worth pointing out the following:-

1) Groups stay as groups until you ungroup them. You power of one of more of the Sonos units or you experience some network issues.
2) It is already trivially easy to create a group. I made a video of this last year on the desktop version of the controller. It is equally easy on other controllers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiHHz6WKJoc
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
My groups constantly ungroup. I also see value in the ability to create "sticky groups".
Userlevel 1
Stuart_W: It is NOT "trivially easy" to create groups because it requires multiple taps and your focused attention to do it. Or a custom application.

I want to push a single button and have a group of devices play. I do not want to have to recreate the group every time.

I am making this point because I worry that the Sonos product folks might also believe that the current groups feature is good enough.
I have 2 Play 3’s and a playbar. The Play 3’s are under one group and the Playbar is under another group. I am trying to put them all together under one permanent group. Can someone help me with this?
Do you mean that you want your play:3s setup as surround speakers with the playbar? if so the below article should answer all your questions.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US
Yes, but I want it to be that way permanently. I don’t want to group them each time I watch TV. I can’t figure out how to have them together all the time.
Setting up surrounds is semi-permanent. Read the link.