Single Sonos Outdoor Speaker ?

• 29 June 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi has anyone installed a single outdoor speaker ? if so does it do the job performance and sound quality. I have a small (condo) balcony i figure a single speaker should do the job. Too bad speakers are sold in pairs, but that's another discussion. Thanks

8 replies

There are some makes that sell a single unit outdoor speaker, that has both channels fed to it. One of those ought to work well enough for you.
Alternatively, if the balcony has a power supply on the wall shared with the room, and a place to keep the play 1 out of direct weather, that may suffice. Particularly if you can cover the 1 with a plastic box when not in use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could use a Connect and an external amplifier that had a Stereo to Mono blend option. That setup lets you buy any single speaker you like.
See this example of a single speaker if you like the looks:
https://www.paradigm.com/en/speakers/rock-monitor-80-sm
Conventional looking ones are also available in the market.
thanks all - does anyone have a setup sonos-amp inside -> wire from telco closet to outside -> one outdoor sonos speaker bolted on the bricks; am trying to be all in Sonos, not that i won the lottery 😉; am just please with the overall solution and am trying not to divert out if possible. Thanks much
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't think that is a common setup as with a Sonos Amp and only one speaker you only get the right or left channel. Using a dual voice coil speaker will get you both channels with just one speaker.
I don't think that is a common setup as with a Sonos Amp and only one speaker you only get the right or left channel. Using a dual voice coil speaker will get you both channels with just one speaker.
As I recall the Sonos Amp has a mono option; won't this give both channels in one speaker of the conventional kind?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If it is I missed it in reading about the Amp, looks like I did as I just found it listed under features on the main Sonos site.

"Speaker output connections: Banana plugs (2) capable of stereo or dual mono sound."
I have a long standing request here to bless Connect Amp with this feature, it is very useful outdoors and it should be possible via a software fix. Sonos isn't listening though.