Question

Setting up the CONNECT:AMP as surround rears

• 21 January 2017
  • 5 replies

Purchased Sonos system (playbar, sub, amp, boost) but purchased independent B&W rear speakers for surround. I was told that for surround to work I would only need to connect amp via cat 5 to router however the instructions sent me tell me to:
Wire both the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP to either your router, a single network switch, or to each other, using an Ethernet cable.
Attach desired speakers to the CONNECT:AMP. Power rating should be at least 75W for 8 ohm speakers and at least 150W for 4 ohm speakers.
Position the speaker connected to the Left terminal on the CONNECT:AMP as the left surround speaker in your surround sound setup.
Position the speaker connected to the Right terminal on the CONNECT:AMP as the right surround speaker in your surround sound setup.
Locate the IP address for your PLAYBAR - not the CONNECT:AMP.

Is there a way to have surround without having to wire playbar and connect amp? I took Sonos helpdesk as telling me I would only need to connect amp to router. Reason- wiring from behind amp above fireplace through basement to armoire is difficult whereas amp and router are in same location.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I'm pretty sure that there has to be a fully wired connection between the PB and C:A, either directly or via the router or a switch.
The system must be in SonosNet mode ('BOOST Setup') -- which means that at least one component must be wired to the network -- and there has to be a wired path between the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP.

The reason is that the PLAYBAR operates with minimal network buffering in order to reduce delay to the audio and preserve video lip-sync. To do this it sets up its own direct 5GHz wireless links with surround speakers and SUB. CONNECT:AMP doesn't include a 5GHz radio, so instead there has to be a wired connection back to the PLAYBAR.
Great answer! I assumed that you could detach them after set up (it's Sonos after all). But the lack of 5GHz radio makes a ton of sense. Oh well, guess I'm buying two Play:1s...
Detach what after setup? A CONNECT:AMP for surround duties must remain permanently wired to the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE, with the system in SonosNet mode.
I just posted this on another thread and saw this so thought I’d mention it here as well.

Can do it with an orbi router/satellite setup. Hook up each Sonos device to an individual satellite via Ethernet and it acts as a single router.