Answered

second router

• 13 July 2019
  • 9 replies

We have a two routers connected as Lan to Wan from main router to second router.
The main routers IP is set to 192.168.1.1 while the second routers IP is set to 192.168.2.1.

We have 4 Sonos ones working on first router and was trying but with little success to get 4 more Sonos ones running on the second router.

Both laptops and phones connect to second network via WiFi but am unable to find Sonos devices even when I connect them via ethernet cable directly to the second router.
icon

Best answer by jlarue 13 July 2019, 19:13

This is now working.. I think the factory reset was the key.

Each had to be plugged into the second router to setup but are now working wirelessly.

Thanks for your support!
View original

9 replies

Whilst you can have Sonos devices/households on the two different network subnets, they will not be able to see each other and your Sonos controller devices will need to be connected to the same router/WiFi/subnet to see the Sonos Household setup. Best to use entirely different controllers IMHO in such a setup.

Not the typical type of setup I would personally opt for. I would just use one router, or the other, but I guess we all have different ideas of how we wish to setup these things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why are you using two routers? Keep things simple, and use a single router/subnet.
Thanks for your reply.

We want to have the main routers Sonos devices separate from the second routers Sonos devices.

That is why the routers are connected in a LAN to Wan configuration and why we've setup the second router at a different subnet.

As mentioned, other devices are connecting to the second router via WiFi but do not find the Sonos devices even if those devices are connected directly to the router.
The building has a retail shop on the main floor where the main router is located and where we have four Sonos ones connected and working.

The second and third floors is our apartment and where the second router is situated.

We want the Sonos devices on the second and third floors to be separate from the first floor.
Just set them up as though they are separate homes, but use dedicated controller devices for each system you setup. Just keep it simple and separate.
It should work fine. You will of course have to factory reset the Sonos units that you wish to install on LAN2, then set them all up as a new system ('household'). If the players are still members of the same system as those on LAN1 there's a risk of bridging between the two subnets, with all the expected mayhem.

A controller on LAN2 will initially look for the LAN1 players before asking what you want to do.

Once set up, you'll be able to use the same controller app for both systems. It will simply display the players it can see on whichever local subnet it's attached to. No need to dedicate controllers; that only applies for systems sharing the same subnet.
The issue I see if using the same controller device for both subnets, is that the mobile device will auto-switch their wifi networks once they have been attached to both and you may (sometimes) then not see the Sonos Household you were perhaps hoping for when you open the Sonos App, particularly as the subnets are all within the same building. You then have to switch connections in the mobile network settings to get to the set of players you want. I would much prefer to keep the controllers separate in that situation and not allow them to join the other subnet.

But it really is each to their own, I guess.

I would much prefer the simplicity of a dedicated controller for each Household and to keep it simple and entirely separate. Not everyone though may like the inconvenience of multiple controller devices.
If simplicity is everything, and dedicated controllers can be left in each locale, then fine. For various reasons I run two systems/households, and recently moved one behind another router so I could have either accessible from the phone in my pocket depending on where I am in the house. It's rather easier to flip between SSIDs using Android than on iOS.
This is now working.. I think the factory reset was the key.

Each had to be plugged into the second router to setup but are now working wirelessly.

Thanks for your support!