Sanus WSSBM1-B2 Mount blocking Sonos Beam IR sensor

• 16 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Has anyone had an issue of the L bracket on the Sanus Mount WSSBM1-B2 blocking the Beam’s IR sensor? When I attach the Sonos Beam to the L bracket using the 2 supplied screws, the Remote control does not communicate with the Beam b/c the metal plate covers the bottom of the IR sensor.

The only way I can get it to work is to remove one screw and rotate the Beam on the bracket 15 degrees so that the bottom of the Beam’s IR sensor is exposed. It looks goofy but at least the remote works.

Was wondering if anyone else had this problem and was able to come up with any better solutions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Pchoi573. From all the photos and videos I've seen of this mount, it seems that the Beam sits on top of a small platform and there shouldn't be anything blocking the front-facing IR sensor.

The only thing I could imagine what could be giving you trouble is perhaps the height of the TV and Beam compared to your sitting height. Would you mind taking a few photos of where you are hitting a snag? With the help of a photo, the community may be able to help get you pointed in the right direction 🙂
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried using the remote control from above the Beam, below, level, from the left and from the right. Unless I remove one screw and rotate the Beam in the mount, the Beam does not receive any IR signal from the remote because of interference from the metal bracket.

My Sonos Beam’s IR sensor does not receive any remote control commands if the bottom portion of the sensor is covered with the metal bracket. Perhaps the infrared sensor in the Beam was assembled so it is angled slightly down inside the Beam’s case.

I ended up using a Dremel and cutting a 1-1/2”x1/4” hole in the front-center of the bracket (exposing the underside of the Beam’s IR sensor. With this hole cutout the Beam now receives IR signal from the remote. It is a really poor design... I should not have to manually modify a custom mount designed for the Sonos Beam. UGH
IR sensor on Bottom of Sonos Beam needs to be exposed: https://

I did the same - cut a little bit out as described above and it seems to work! Wish this was already part of the mount but it wasn’t difficult to do. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem. Spent hours on the phone with Sonos and Sanus Support who kept saying that no one else has reported this issue. Glad that I was not the only one...
Might be useful to send a link to this thread over to the folks at Sanus, I wouldn’t take the assumption that they frequent these boards, and they might be grateful to understand the issues and fixes you’ve implemented.