Question

Samsung TV HDMI problem with The Beam

• 23 January 2020
  • 6 replies

I have Samsung The Frame 55 (QN55LS03RAFXZA) and Sonos Beam. Im using the HDMI ARC port and the cable supplied with the Beam. It works fine, but sometimes the TV looses the connection to the Beam. The setup is: the TV can detect that there is a HDMI connected speaker but the sound comes from the TV and I cannot chance volume (nothing happens when I push the buttons on the remote even if the screen shows + and -)

Are there known problems with Samsung TVs and HDMI ARC ports using The Beam?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It sounds to me as though the HDMI-CEC hub (the TV) is losing the handshake with connected devices (the Beam). I would check several things. First, check the TV for any updates from Samsung. Second, check the HDMI connections, by unplugging it on both sides, then reseat it. Third, I’d force a reboot of the TV by unplugging it from the wall for two minutes, then plug it back in, followed by a similar power cycle of the Beam. 

Hi Airgetlam,

Thank you for replying. I have tried all you asked for. It works for few days and then the same problem starts again.

So I can always fix the problem by taking the Samsung TV off power, unplug all the HDMI plugs and replug them. But it´s very boring!

When I open the Sonos app to try to fix this I get the error that there is a device interfering with the HDMI connection. What can cause that?

Odd. Unfortunately, I don’t own either a Samsung or a Beam, so my answers are only based on my knowledge of the method by which HDMI-CEC works. 

One thing I would try in this situation is different HDMI cables, if possible. If not possible, I’d pull the current one, and just reseat them, to make sure the TV isn’t fighting a poor connection.

then, honestly, I’d get in touch with Samsung. I think the issue is in the HDMI-CEC ‘hub’, which is built in to the TV, as there have not been similar posts from users of the Beam. You may want to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They’ll likely ask you to run a system diagnostic, and then tell you there’s no issue with the Beam, but that’s a supposition on my part.  

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

You could just avoid all this HDMI-CEC issue, along with voice control of your TV from the Beam, by just connecting the Beam with an optical cable to the adapter that came with the Beam. 

Hi @Gjorby thanks for the post and welcome to the Community!

I am leaning towards @Airgetlam’s assessment of the issue as this generated message usually indicates a protocol not allowing Sonos to connect to the CEC. To confirm the connectivity status, would you be able to provide me with a diagnostic report of the Sonos system so I may investigate further?

Following this, reply to this thread with the confirmation number and I would be happy to check it out.

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for doing this for me. I love my Sonos Beam but this is very boring problem.

The confirmation number is: 1577487705.

I look forward to hear from you :)

Kind regards,

Georg

My diagnostic shows me that no codec (source) is being recognized from the TV out to the Beam. Was the Beam set to audio component at the time of diagnostic? You would do this by highlighting the Beam and going to Browse>TV .

Everything else recognizes the HDMI port. This would indicate that the fault may be on the side of the TV manufacturer. It would be ideal if you are able to test the Beam with an optical adapter in another source such as the cable box.

By connecting the Beam to the cable box, we are effectively bypassing the TV. The audio should be working consistently in that state regardless.