Answered

Roam Bluetooth to Beam when TV OFF

Currently have Beam with new TV. Want to get Roam for music and need to know if I can use Bluetooth between Roam and Beam (the audio push) when the TV/Beam is turned off.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 May 2021, 21:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not sure what you mean by ‘audio push’, but you can bluetooth to the Roam, and then group that audio with your Beam.  It doesn’t matter if the TV is on or off.

One of their Support articles refers to Audio Push (the Sound Swap) to get the Bluetooth sound from Roam to another speaker. Actually you answered the main question “…..doesn’t matter is the Tv is on or off….”  as the Beam turns on when the TV is turned on. So, based on this, if both are OFF, you can still get the audio from the Roam to the Beam - must mean the Beam turns itself on when you use Bluetooth to get the sound to it.  Somebody correct me if this is the wrong assumption.

Thanks.

One of their Support articles refers to Audio Push (the Sound Swap) to get the Bluetooth sound from Roam to another speaker. Actually you answered the main question “…..doesn’t matter is the Tv is on or off….”  as the Beam turns on when the TV is turned on. So, based on this, if both are OFF, you can still get the audio from the Roam to the Beam - must mean the Beam turns itself on when you use Bluetooth to get the sound to it.  Somebody correct me if this is the wrong assumption.

Thanks.

Yes, I’m afraid that’s not quite correct. The Beam does not have a Bluetooth connection in the way you mention, it uses BLE Bluetooth for setup purposes only. However, you can swap audio between the Roam and Beam over WiFi, or you can do what melvimbe mentions and that is you can play Bluetooth audio to Roam and then group that with the Beam over WiFi in the S2 App, to play that audio stream.

The TV does not need to be ‘on’ for music audio to be played to the Beam in the ways discussed, you can test that yourself, without the Roam… simply switch off your TV and play music to the Beam from any of the Sonos App music sources. (It can also be done via Apple Airplay or Spotify Connect etc.)

OK, Thank you Ken - all I wanted to know and now I’ll buy the Roam!!

One of their Support articles refers to Audio Push (the Sound Swap) to get the Bluetooth sound from Roam to another speaker. Actually you answered the main question “…..doesn’t matter is the Tv is on or off….”  as the Beam turns on when the TV is turned on.

The Beam is always on when it’s plugged in.  You can configure the Beam so that it automatically plays TV audio when it gets a signal from the TV.  You don’t have to set this though, and you can always switch the Beam’s source to a streaming service...even when the TV is still on.

Yes, I’m afraid that’s not quite correct. The Beam does not have a Bluetooth connection in the way you mention, it uses BLE Bluetooth for setup purposes only. However, you can swap audio between the Roam and Beam over WiFi, or you can do what melvimbe mentions and that is you can play Bluetooth audio to Roam and then group that with the Beam over WiFi in the S2 App, to play that audio stream.

You can’t use the sound swap feature with TV, Airplay 2, or bluetooth audio.  You can group the audio though  (so audio still plays on the Roam along with Beam...the Roam can’t pass it along and start playing something else).

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4990?language=en_US

Thanks to both of you. Now to find one - seem to be backordered everywhere.

My suspicion is the chip shortage is hitting Sonos, just like it’s hitting Ford, Tesla, Microsoft, Sony, pretty much anyone who makes electronic devices of any type. 

Just got a black one at ABT. They still don’t have white ones.