Restart speed after plugging in mains

How long does it take (in seconds) for Play1 speakers to be ready for operation after plugging in the mains plug. Note the Play1's are allready configured and are connected with a network cable.

Is this startup time the same for an surround setup using a playbar and two play1;s?

This question is because i would like to switch them fully off during night using a home automation system. Thiss will save 4 watts of standby power each Play1 speaker. I was wondering how long it takes to have them back in operation again.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
RGeurts wrote:

How long does it take (in seconds) for Play1 speakers to be ready for operation after plugging in the mains plug.

Between 30 and 60 seconds in my experience.

RGeurts wrote:

Thiss will save 4 watts of standby power each Play1 speaker.

It does, but the downside is you'll be shortening the lifespan of the Play:1's.
Shortening the lifespan?

But it actually saves more than 3000 hours of stand-by operation each year. Are you sure it negativelly influences the lifespan? Is it tested and proven? My experience is that electronics which are ON 24/7 lives no longer than 5 years. Besides that it saves 12kWh each Play1 yearly, no big bills but it may be worth for nature minded people.

What do you think?
What is the expected lifespan of a Play1, which is powered 24/7, and one hour fully operational each day?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
RGeurts wrote:

Are you sure it negativelly influences the lifespan?

You might want to take a look over here. Sonos hardware is designed to stay powered 24/7. But everyone makes their own choice, of course.
RGeurts wrote:

What is the expected lifespan of a Play1, which is powered 24/7, and one hour fully operational each day?

It is hard to say, and you may well be right in terms of the equation of electricity saved v the cost of replacing an early failure caused by a daily restart, in your case, but you could also be wrong; the power on process is the most traumatic for all electronics, but it isn't easy to quantify its effect that will also vary from one unit to the next. And the effect of premature replacement also has a nature effect, by the way.

It is a little easier for me; a zone that is played every day for at least a couple of hours is left on 24/7, while those that are used couple of times a week, or even less, are left off.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)