Resetting Sonos Account

• 10 February 2018
  • 10 replies

Have had Sonos since 2012. Equipment was all installed and registered under my name and email. Somehow, after moving to a new home, my son managed to change the email and system registration. Now am locked out and can't setup system using all of my current equipment. Have Play 1, Play 3, Play 5, 2 Connect units and 2 connect Amps.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
If your son still knows his Sonos account information, you could get him to login on your speakers and then follow the instructions here (to move the speakers to your email) under the heading:" I forgot my password and no longer have access to my account's email, can I change the Sonos account my players are linked to?"

Alternatively If he doesn't remember it (or you don't mind resetting your speakers), you could factory reset your speakers - but if you do this, know that your favourites, playlists and stored music services will be deleted so you'll need to log back in and reindex any music library folders. Info: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/~/factory-resetting-a-sonos-product

Hope that helps you.
Hi Josh and thanks for getting back. I am pretty sure right now he won't help me. Long story.
I use Spotify as my music source. Are u saying I would lose all of those playlists. I am not sure I totally understand. All of my equipment has been unhooked and idle for a year.
Maybe you can clarify exactly what I would lose.
Let me clarify my question. Would I lose my Spotify playlist and saved music on the Spotify account itself or just those lists from my play 3 speakers, play 5 speakers, 2 connect units and 2 connect amp units. I do not own a sound bar, subwoofer, or the newer boost unit.
If a playlist is set up somewhere other than Sonos (like Spotify), you would not lose it when resetting your speakers. You would lose any playlist that you've set up in Sonos, however.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified (as airgetlam) says you won't lose your Spotify playlists
Thanks Josh. I have made some progress so far. I have so much money invested in Sonos stuff it's a shame not to use it. I discovered that my new Orbi Router creates some of the issues. It does operate in both 2.4 and 5 GHz. After reading many articles I am tempted to invest in the Sonos Boost unit. The reviews are all very good. Any opinions on that item are welcome.
Again, thanks to all of you for your input.
In my opinion (worth every penny you've paid for it), if you have more than 3 Sonos speakers, a BOOST is recommended. And just the ability to remove the streaming music from my normal wifi is worth the investment. I've got about 17 (I think?) Sonos devices, and they're all working well off a BOOST.
Hi and thanks. I currently own 2 play 3s, a play 5 , 2 connect units and 2 connect amps. I bought my Sonos before the sub and sound bar we're built. Best Buy did my home systems and I also have Magnolia level Equipment that they used. I have sitting here now sub woofers that we're 600 dollars a piece etc, so right now no reason to buy the Sonos Sub.
Thanks to all of you that wrote back. Ready to get it all going. I am certain I will pick up the Sonos Boost as you have suggested. Have a great day.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Just to add, if any of your Sonos speakers happen to be in proximity to your router you could just wire that one to the router with ethernet - bypassing the need for a BOOST as it would do the same thing.
Hi. I did think about that. Right now I plugged in one of my connects to the Orbi. It seems to work. I would not be placing any speaker close to my router. I appreciate the suggestion.