Answered

Replacing existing receiver with Sonos Connect:AMP

• 10 October 2018
  • 2 replies

I currently have an existing home theatre 5.1 surround sound in wall wired speakers and whole house audio that consist of in ceiling wired speakers in 4 separate rooms (circa 2010). They are are currently run by a receiver that has 5.1 and a switch that allows me to run different media into the other rooms. Now that I am using Apple TV solely (no cable/Fios just internet), I would like to clean up and simplify my system while using the existing speakers. Ideally, I like to be able to play Hulu TV or a movie using 5.1 surround and extend to other rooms, or be able to strictly airplay from my phone to other rooms while someone else is watching Apple TV. Sonos AMP looks promising but doesn't support 5.1 surround with existing wired speakers and do I have to get multiple devices in order to incorporate the whole house audio? Any solution options would be helpful. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 October 2018, 18:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Actually there is a way to use the playbar in conjunction with the SonosAMP in 5.1 mode (as long as you don't care about DTS)
I did this a while ago and it worked quite well. You can't do it through the App though so you'll have to go into the Playbars webinterface and add the Sonos AMP as a surround source, Your wired speakers then act in the same way as if you would add two Play1/3/5s
If you search this forum you should find a step-by-step guide to this 😉
@Jerry, I think you're referring to the Connect:amp, as the Sonos Amp is not yet released. You are correct though that both amp products can be used with a playbar.

@MercDMD, without going to a ton of detail. A 'Sonos amp strategy' cannot use all 5 of your currently in-wall wired speakers. One Sonos amp can power front left and right speakers and simulate a center channel. So your center channel can't connect to anything. As you guessed, you would need a 2nd Sonos amp to power your rear speakers. So you're looking at $1200 dollars to get this done and a 'dead' center channel speaker.

For that room, you might be better off adding a Connect to your existing receiver to sort of bring it into the Sonos system. The Connect can output to your receiver, and take input from the receiver (not all receivers have rca outputs though) If you really aren't happy with your existing receiver, you may want to look at one of the Onkyo receiver that will work with Sonos for better control/integration.

The Sonos amp (or current Connect:amp) would be a good fit for your other rooms. The Sonos amp has more power and you could probably run two or more rooms using your existing speaker switch. Each amp is going to allow you to play different audio at a different volumes, so to allow for different audio in all 4 rooms, you'll need 4 amps. You would be able to play your tv audio to these other rooms (with a slight delay) if your tv is connect to a sonos amp or a receiver + Connect setup.