Removing room in app

• 30 January 2019
  • 51 replies

For some reason I have 2 rooms showing in the Room Settings. How do I delete one within the app? When we have to reconnect our :one units because they get disconnected in the app, it's creating a new room.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
JB, thx...Again, but my original question has NOT been answered. This question pops up everywhere on Google and in the Sonos Forums.

"How can we delete a "room" in the Sonos App(s)."

Might be easy for you and Ratty be so quick with your answers, but a system that worked "Awesome" now is a Gong Show, with no answers.

I have bee trying everything suggested, but Sonos speakers still do not work properly or together, like they did three days ago.

I have been able to "finally" get my two Sonos Play 1's working together, just now cannot get the Sonos 1's working with the Beam.

Hopefully I will get some answers for: "How can we delete a "room" in the Sonos App(s)."

Very, very sad to be looking at (& not hearing) my almost $1000 of Sonos products.

Thx Much
[...] Hopefully I will get some answers for: "How can we delete a "room" in the Sonos App(s)."

Very, very sad to be looking at (& not hearing) my almost $1000 of Sonos products.

Thx Much

As has already been pointed out multiple times -- you don't need to, therefore it's not possible to delete a room. Please provide a screenshot of 'Sonos App --> More --> Settings --> About my Sonos System'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Smilja, TY and here you go. I still have two rooms on my app and three sonos speakers (Beam & 2 Sonos Play 1's) that do not sync with each other.
my original question has NOT been answered.
It HAS. This is a labour of Sisyphus. I give up.
My guess here is that @mcdonakd44 has created a room called 'Family Room' with the Beam initially... and then switched it off. Then has created a stereo pair, with his Sonos Ones, also called 'Family Room', perhaps without closing and/or refreshing the Sonos App.

If @mcdonald44 follows @ratty's instructions, his problem will be completely resolved, but can I suggest that he assigns entirely different names to his Sonos One devices to begin with, for example try setting them up initially as 'Surround 1' and 'Surround 2', or any names except 'Family Room' before he then bonds both of the speakers to the Beam. The result will be he will end up with one Sonos Room called 'Family Room' in his Sonos controller app.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
No it has NOT. I still have two rooms on all my apps.

I give up too.

Never liked forums as they become a pissing contest between those that need help and those that try to give help.

I am very grateful for your help.

Happy St. Pat's
I'll have one more go, although Heaven knows why, Then I'm out too, whatever the outcome.

@mcdonald44. You have screwed things up, there is no general problem with Sonos. This is how to put them right. Follow these instructions or not, as you wish.

Go into Settings, Room Settings. There will be two rooms labelled 'Family Room', one of which will have 'L+R' after it.
Go into the Room Settings for the one WITHOUT the L+R and change the room name to 'Beam'.
Still in the Room Settings for the Beam, tap 'Add Surrounds' and then follow the prompts

Please then post back.
No it has NOT. I still have two rooms on all my apps.

I give up too.

Never liked forums as they become a pissing contest between those that need help and those that try to give help.

I am very grateful for your help.

Happy St. Pat's
Please try my suggestion. What you don't seem to grasp is that the solution to having two 'rooms' is not to delete one, but to combine the speakers into one 'room'.
Smilja, TY and here you go. I still have two rooms on my app and three sonos speakers (Beam & 2 Sonos Play 1's) that do not sync with each other.

1) Separate the Play:1 stereo pair: From the Sonos music menu, tap Settings > Room Settings. Select the stereo pair you wish to separate. The room name will contain “(L+R)” to indicate it is a stereo pair. Select “Separate Stereo Pair”.

2) Add the Play:1 as surround speakers to the Beam: Open the Sonos app. From the More tab, tap Settings > Room Settings. Select the Beam's room settings. Select "Add Surround Speakers". Follow the in-app instructions to add first a left and then a right surround speaker.
Sigh. @Smilja, we've been over that procedure a number of times...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thx Much KG,

Not a great St. Patrick's Day today. My Irish luck is gone!

Will be calling Sonos tomorrow. As I mentioned earlier, I cannot believe Sonos has given two "different" Sonos speaker two "Similar" names. "Sonos One" and "Sonos Play 1"

I have two Sonos Play 1's and one Beam, that worked perfectly till two days ago and have tried all suggestions by all at least three times each.

I still see two "Family Rooms" on my apps and as you can see by Google search there are thousands (138,000) who have the same question.

Time for a St. Pat's Pint. Thx to you and all for your help and suggestions

My guess here is that @mcdonakd44 has created a room called 'Family Room' with the Beam initially... and then switched it off. Then has created a stereo pair, also called 'Family Room', perhaps without closing and/or refreshing the SonosApp.

If @mcdonald44 follows @ratty's instructions, his problem will be completely resolved, but can I suggest that he assigns entirely different names to his Sonos One devices to begin with, for example try setting them up initially as 'Surround 1' and 'Surround 2', or any names except 'Family Room' before he then bonds both of the speakers to the Beam. The result will be he will end up with one Sonos Room called 'Family Room' in his Sonos controller app.
Sigh. @Smilja, we've been over that procedure a number of times...
It's a final attempt.
Maybe the whole thing is a wind up. It's looking like the only possible explanation.
mcdonald44,

1. Power off ALL Sonos devices.
2. Power on your Beam, now called 'Family Room'
3. Fully close (slide off screen) and then reopen Sonos App to see just the one speaker only
4. If (and only if) you see your Sonos Beam in the Sonos App, then continue with the following steps.
5. Factory reset your first Sonos One/Play-1 Speaker and then in the App Settings choose “Add Speaker or Sub” and set the device up naming it “Surround-1”
6. Factory reset your second Sonos One/Play-1 Speaker and then in the App Settings once again choose “Add Speaker or Sub” and set the device up naming it “Surround-2”
7. Now you need to bond your devices together into one Home Theatre setup.,, Goto the Sonos App “Settings/Rooms Settings/Family Room”... and choose the option to Add Surrounds and follow the onscreen instructions to add both Surround-1 & Surround-2 to your “Family Room”.

On completion you should end up with just one Sonos Room called “Family Room”.

Hope that resolves your issues. Happy St Patrick’s Day to you.☘️
mcdonald44,

Just to say the instructions I have posted above in simple 'step by step' form, is really no more than @ratty was telling you to do, but it seems you were not doing them in the correct sequence.. please try to follow the instructions carefully.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
All, this is what I continue to see on my IOS and Mac Desktop (apps) after doing (many times) all the work-a-rounds you all suggest.

Looking forward to my call with Sonos tomorrow to solve this gong show.

I will ask again. "How do you delete rooms on our Sonos Apps."
It is definitely a wind up.
All, this is what I continue to see on my IOS and Mac Desktop (apps) after doing (many times) all the work-a-rounds you all suggest.

Looking forward to my call with Sonos tomorrow to solve this gong show.

I will ask again. "How do you delete rooms on our Sonos Apps."

Did you miss my post...?

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/removing-room-in-app-6820056/index2.html#post16320241
Give up guys. There is no point, no hope, no reason to persevere. It's over. Accept it.
Did you miss my post...?
And all the other ones which, um, say how to add surrounds.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thx Much KG, will give these a try. Appreciate it.

Sort of tough doing all this while trying to watch/listen to NASCAR (the reason I bought Sonos), NCAA Bball and Golf.

Appreciate help

mcdonald44,

1. Power off ALL Sonos devices.
2. Power on your Beam, now called 'Family Room'
3. Fully close (slide off screen) and then reopen Sonos App to see just the one speaker only
4. If (and only if) you see your Sonos Beam in the Sonos App, then continue with the following steps.
5. Factory reset your first Sonos One/Play-1 Speaker and then in the App Settings choose “Add Speaker or Sub” and set the device up naming it “Surround-1”
6. Factory reset your second Sonos One/Play-1 Speaker and then in the App Settings once again choose “Add Speaker or Sub” and set the device up naming it “Surround-2”
7. Now you need to bond your devices together into one Home Theatre setup.,, Goto the Sonos App “Settings/Rooms Settings/Family Room”... and choose the option to Add Surrounds and follow the onscreen instructions to add both Surround-1 & Surround-2 to your “Family Room”.

On completion you should end up with just one Sonos Room called “Family Room”.

Hope that resolves your issues. Happy St Patrick’s Day to you.☘️
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thx Smilja,

You are the best,

1) Separate the Play:1 stereo pair: From the Sonos music menu, tap Settings > Room Settings. Select the stereo pair you wish to separate. The room name will contain “(L+R)” to indicate it is a stereo pair. Select “Separate Stereo Pair”.

I was able to do this :--)

2) Add the Play:1 as surround speakers to the Beam: Open the Sonos app. From the More tab, tap Settings > Room Settings. Select the Beam's room settings. Select "Add Surround Speakers". Follow the in-app instructions to add first a left and then a right surround speaker.

I was NOT able to to do this. Under "Room Settings" were two rooms with the same name "Family Room" (again, how did you delete a "room?). clicking on each I did not see "Add Surround Speakers"

I have attached some screen shots.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
As stated many times before, you CAN NOT "delete" a room since it's the label of a physical device (or a stereopair or a HT set up). Having two physical devices with the same label will give issues, just like two computers in your network with the same name. First thing you should do is what John B suggested:

"Go into Settings, Room Settings. There will be two rooms labelled 'Family Room', one of which will have 'L+R' after it.
Go into the Room Settings for the one WITHOUT the L+R and change the room name to 'Beam'.
Still in the Room Settings for the Beam, tap 'Add Surrounds' and then follow the prompts"

Otherwise grouping won't work correctly and you'll probably have issues adding them as surrounds if that's what you want to achieve.
The baton has passed to Edward R.
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/how-do-i-delete-a-room-6818434?postid=16320369
The baton has passed to Edward R.
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/how-do-i-delete-a-room-6818434?postid=16320369
baton.... aka 'poisoned chalice'