Recycling program - discontinued products - why?

• 21 January 2020
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello. i have just received a notification email indicating that my Play 5 and my Bridge will not be supported anymore. this is disappointing because it has only been 6 or so years that we have had these products. They work great and i see no reason to change. for arguments sake, say i do upgrade with the 30% discount what’s  to say Sonos won’t do the same thing again in the same time frame? i would rotating sound equipment faster than it actually breaks just solely based on software obsolescence alone. this is highly disappointing. please comment as i would like to understand the rationale better. thanks 

please note, i really do appreciate the Sonos environment. Very well thought-out and works seamlessly with our streaming services. So i am not disappointed with the products. Just the managment of the downstream customer experience 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Badge +2

Here’s a question that bothers me.

I will continue to use the 3x Play5’s that I have on the last available update.  Not a problem for me.

BUT if next year I need to reinstall the Controller App either on iOS or Mac, will the version I get from the App Store allow them to work OK.  I don’t want to get a Controller version that is unable to work with them.

Has this been resolved ?

Thanks

I will continue to use the 3x Play5’s that I have on the last available update.  Not a problem for me.

BUT if next year I need to reinstall the Controller App either on iOS or Mac, will the version I get from the App Store allow them to work OK.  I don’t want to get a Controller version that is unable to work with them.

Has this been resolved ?

Thanks

It’s a little murky, but it has been stated that the controllers apps will continue to work as they do today.  Whether that means future apps will be backwards compatible, or they will issue a legacy app, is part of the murk. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are still in the rant stage of grief, the time for help and explanations will be in May.

ok got it. that said, I’m guessing their mind is made up so there is no going back!!?? Still doesn’t help us deal with our current pain and frustration…

cheers

We are still in the rant stage of grief, the time for help and explanations will be in May.

Maybe for you.  But the person I replied to was quite obviously looking for answers.  One shouldn’t let their own stages of grief impede on others seeking answers.  Is that not fair?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Maybe for you.  But the person I replied to was quite obviously looking for answers.  One shouldn’t let their own stages of grief impede on others seeking answers.  Is that not fair?

Answers? You need to wait until May. One shouldn't presume to tell other members how to post, fair? Back to the rants

Userlevel 2
Badge

Answers? You need to wait until May. One shouldn't presume to tell other members how to post, fair? Back to the rants

LOL, sure not a problem! 

Badge +2

Has this been resolved ?

Thanks

It’s a little murky, but it has been stated that the controllers apps will continue to work as they do today.  Whether that means future apps will be backwards compatible, or they will issue a legacy app, is part of the murk. 

Thanks.  I’ll wait to see.  Can’t afford yet to upgrade the units (even if the Trade-In programme had a decent way forward for these), but when one fails I'll probably buy two new units.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

LOL, sure not a problem! 

Lol that reply wasn't to you 😂

Hello ….and goodbye most likely...

I have been using Sonos for about fifteen years. It is a good system. Not extremely good (still suddenly the system disconnects while playing songs - for no apparent reason). In any case, I am still happy with it. And now Sonos sends me a letter saying that I have to upgrade equipment which I once bought from and that cost me more than USD 1.000!? And the replacement/upgrade, including rebates, will be even more costly! Well, this certainly convinced me to switch to another system. What I cannot understand is what the Sonos executives were thinking when they decided this - in an age when there is such strong competition from other brands? 

Userlevel 1

I agree 100%.  30% is a joke and would cost me over $1k to continue to use the system as I do today. It kills me to have to lose the $4K I’ve spent over 8 years building my system but that’s exactly what I am going to do.  We now know how Sonos values it’s customers so who’s to say this won’t happen to Play 1’s, Subs, sound bars again in the next several years.  I cannot and will not spend that kind of money just to keep my system status quo.    Selling my stock TODAY!!

Moderator note: Username edited to protect member’s privacy: e-mail address removed. 

Well, at least there is an upside to this - at least for me. I liked to have a Sonos system, a nice brand, and and the sound quality was great. I was prepared to go on and invest in more speakers etc - even if the price tag was high. But now the spell is broken. I realise that it is just silly to go on with Sonos. I actually look forward to see how much more I can get from other systems for less money.

I suspect that this was actually a good wake-up call for me. And for my wallet! :-)