Answered

Rear pair speakers / amp with Arc

I have an Arc for the front of the theatre with a sub woofer.
I also have a pair of in ceiling architectural speakers in the rear ceiling. These are also sort of in the kitchen area as the room isn’t that large.
The pair of rears are connected to an amp so i can have the full 5.1 but i was wondering if i wanted the rear pair to just play music as a zone of audio like the rest of the house is it easy to switch between the rears being music zone only to then be a part of the 5.1

I didn’t think i needed to buy a second amp for one pair but maybe in the Sonos app / settings it’s just switching there?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 26 May 2022, 18:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You can set those rear speakers to play full stereo, along with the Arc for music sources. You can adjust the relative volume between Arc and rears.  If you want the ceiling speakers to play by themselves, without the arc, you will need to un-bond them to create a 2nd Sonos room, each time.  This will also remove trueplay tuning.

Thank you for the great answer.
One follow up question

To avoid the unbonding each time is the only other solution to install a second pair dedicated for the kitchen and a dedicated pair just for the theatre?

Thank you for the great answer.
One follow up question

To avoid the unbonding each time is the only other solution to install a second pair dedicated for the kitchen and a dedicated pair just for the theatre?

Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say playing music on the Arc and  rear surrounds to be a problem.  But if you absolutely don’t want the Arc to play music, then one option is to create a permanent second room, whether that be with another amp +speakers, Sonos Ones, Fives, etc.   There may be a way to use the same ceiling speakers with two different amps, some sort of speaker level switch in between, but I’m not familiar with such a device.

• Awesome. Yeah this makes total sense
    Thank you very much for your help on this :)
    Mike