Question

Purpose of adding spotify service in sonos app?

• 11 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Can someone help explain what the purpose/benefit of adding the Spotify music service directly in the Sonos app under (settings->services & more)?

I find I never actually open the Sonos app and just using the Spotify app to select tracks, select and group rooms. 

2 replies

Casting generally means that your music service app is instructing Sonos to play audio directly from the music service, it does mean that your phone downloads the audio and then sends it to Sonos speakers (that’s what Apple airplay does).  Indeed you can take your phone off Wifi and the music will continue to play on your speakers.  In order for Sonos to be able to access your service, Spotify or otherwise, it needs to have the credentials to access the service.

So, even if you never use the Sonos app for playback, you still need it, with the exception of airplay, bluetooth, or a direct wired aux input.  That’s my understanding, someone correct me if I’m wrong.

At least with Amazon music, setting this up also allows me to control playback when I’m not even on the WiFi network.  A ‘neat’ but really kind of useless feature as far as I see it.

Can someone help explain what the purpose/benefit of adding the Spotify music service directly in the Sonos app under (settings->services & more)?

I find I never actually open the Sonos app and just using the Spotify app to select tracks, select and group rooms. 

In your case, there is no need for the first part quoted; only those that prefer to use the Sonos app to play Spotify, need to do this. On the other hand, other than the little time spent in doing this, there is nothing lost by doing it - as a back up if nothing else.