Question

Problems linking SONOS surround sound system to Sony BRAVIA TV, Sony Blu-ray Theatre System and Freesat 4K box

• 28 April 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hello

We have a Sony BRAVIA LCD Digital Colour TV - model no. KDL-40EX713 and a Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System - model no. BDV-E870/E370 (but Sony speakers are not present as we use Sonos).  Whilst we have had these Sony products for a number of years they are both still in excellent working order.

Our problem is linking our Sonos surround sound system (comprising of a subwoofer, Playbase and 2x Play:1s) and also connecting our recently purchased Freesat 4K recordable box.

When watching television the systems seems to only want to 'talk to' the Sony home theatre system and, as such, sound is not present via our Sonos surround sound system and plays only from the Sony TV speakers.  Similarly, when watching a programme on our new Freesat 4K recordable box, the sound plays once again via the Sony TV speakers only.  We have also tried to play a DVD in the Blu-ray player - once again, what used to be great surround sound is now only played through the TV speakers.

However, when streaming music (from Amazon Music via our Sonos system) sounds is present on the Sonos surround sound system.

Basically, we think we have a set-up problem and would like some advice as to how we should be connecting our Sony BRAVIA TV and Sony Theatre System to our Sonos system and Freesat 4K box.  Not sure how the HDMIs should be connected - and where is best to connect the optical cable e.g. from where and to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as listening to most things only via the TV speakers is somewhat frustrating!

Many thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

On most TVs, you’ll need to go into the audio settings and specifically turn on the TV speakers and the optical output on effectively.   Not sure if this is the case with your TV.  This is all assuming you have a typical setup with the playbase connected to the TV via optical cable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

On most TVs, you’ll need to go into the audio settings and specifically turn on the TV speakers and the optical output on effectively.   Not sure if this is the case with your TV.  This is all assuming you have a typical setup with the playbase connected to the TV via optical cable.

Danny means “turn OFF the TV speakers...”

Thanks for the correction.

Badge +1

Thank you for the responses.  I will look at this now.  May I just ask… is it better to use an optical cable rather than just HDMIs for set-ups like we have?  

Thank you for the responses.  I will look at this now.  May I just ask… is it better to use an optical cable rather than just HDMIs for set-ups like we have?  

The playbase doesn’t have an HDMI port, only optical.  Perhaps I don’t understand the question?

The Playbase only has optical input. You need an optical cable from the TV to the Playbase or you won’t get any sound from the TV.

Badge +1

Thank you for the above responses.  I was getting confused with the optical/HDMI cables from the Playbase.  At the moment I am trying to turn off the TV speakers.