Answered

Problem with new Sonos Move

• 25 September 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
I followed the directions for adding the Move to my system; it appears in my speaker list and it is registered. The Move produces sound only when it is the only speaker I select to play; when I group speakers, the Move is silent. My app software has been updated; I have reset my internet router and my Sonos Boost; bluetooth is turned off. The Move is my 14th Sonos speaker and I've never ever had this kind of problem adding a speaker to my system. TIA for any clues you can give me.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 25 September 2019, 16:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Is the WiFi on your router perhaps set as isolated from the rest of the LAN? Make sure the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands also do not have the same SSID name.

Check that your Move is on the correct wireless network by going to the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Networks” section.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Some great suggestions above from Ken.

Also, what model router are you using?

The Move has to connect to your house wireless. Since you're using a Boost, you've got the rest of your system using the network that that device is wired into. It sounds like the audio data isn't passing properly through the network to the Move. So something could be preventing the traffic from coming through, or it could be delayed.

If possible, you could try putting all of your Sonos devices on the wireless network, check under Settings > System > Wifi Setup that you've got your network credentials saved there. Then, disconnect the Ethernet cable from your Boost to the network (and if you have any other players wired into the network, do the same). At that point, you could even power down the Boost since it wouldn't be doing anything. Then, try out grouping and playback. This would let you know if it's a communication problem between the wireless and wired devices.
Badge +2
Thanks for all the attempts to help me. I tried to follow the directions provided in the responses, but I keep hitting a roadblock: When I go to Settings - Network, I see Wireless Settings, Networks, and Sonos/Net Channel. When I select Networks, I see a "Loading" message which changes to "In use"--I don't see what network the system is connected to, but I feel certain all my speakers are on the same network, as I switched routers / modems sometime back and everything worked; when I added the Move, I selected the same network and the speaker was "activated" and registered on this network. When as suggested above I disconnected the Boost, only Move showed up; I guess that means there is a communication problem, but how do I fix that? I talked with Sonos tech support for over an hour today and ultimately they gave up and set me up with an appointment with "Level 2" support; I will post a follow-up once I've had that conversation. I am spending far too much time trying to get a new $400 speaker to work, and I am very close to just returning it....
Badge +2
I have continued to fuss with this frustrating issue. Level 2 support has not communicated any information to me. I sent a Tweet to Sonos and have received no response.

I have discovered some indication of the problem (which was alluded to in the foregoing replies, but which only today did I come to better understand): All my speakers are on network (?) WM:0 except the Move, which is on WM:1 (see attachment-- not all speakers are shown). However, I can’t find a way to change the WM:1 to WM:0; I have reset my internet router and the Boost; I have rebooted the Move; I have reset and re-installed the Move; the issue persists.

Again, TIA for any help you can provide.

Michaelstano,

WM = wireless mode
0 = off, SonosNet
1 = on, wifi mode

Move only communicates via WIFI ... it will never switch to WM: 0 It was never intended to run on SonosNet.

The rest of your devices running on SonosNet are fine and this is exactly how I have my system setup here (and working) too.
Badge +2
Ken_Griffiths: "Alpine"? Is the Move categorized as "Alpine"?
michaelstano,

Did you try Ryan S' advice in his post above? I’m not sure you accurately followed his advice to the letter and entered the 'required' wireless credentials (SSID/Password) in the Sonos App wireless settings before disconnecting the Boost.

You may want to look at this document about switching between wired and wireless mode and see if that then resolves your issue.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209
Sorry that’s just the name of my Move in my household ... I mean ‘Move'. Sorry for the confusion. If you don’t wish to wait for Level 2 Support to get back to you, then try following Ryan’s advice to see if that resolves your issue.