Question

Podcasts on Sonos - can I return to where I left off?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
When I listen to any saved Apple Podcast on my iPad via Sonos, if I return to it later or have listened to another one, I find that the original podcast starts playing from the beginning again which is what happens to others I may be part way through listening to. I find this very annoying as I then have to slide along the time line to find where I left off.
However if I listen to a Podcast directly on my iPad via the Podcast app it remembers where I left off and will play from this point.
My question therefore is, is there a way to get Podcasts on Sonos to remember the point where I stopped listening?
Thanks.

18 replies

I rarely listen to podcasts, but when I do, it’s via the AnyPod or Stitcher Alexa skills. They always resume where I left off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I suspect that Sonos is just pulling the podcast file from the iPad and playing it, and doesn't have access to the metadata regarding whether / how much the podcast has been listened to.

You may want to take a look at Pocket Casts as an alternative podcast application; it works quite well with Sonos (it's an integrated Sonos service).
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately I am somewhat limited in my choice of Podcast medium as there are only a few that will work with Apple CarPlay as I often listen in my car. There are some alternatives I believe, so will give these a try and see if Sonos can take the necessary data and play them properly. Disappointing though as I have Sonos in all main rooms and it’s so frustrating when I click on a Podcast only to find it’s back to the start and not where I left off listening.
Will contact support as this does seem to be something IMO that should be addressed by Sonos.
Thanks again.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Further to above, installed a couple more CarPay approved Podcast apps and downloaded podcasts. All play on iPad and Caraplay and importantly start playing where I left off. Sadly, Sonos does not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Pocket Casts supports CarPlay, too, btw:
https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/carplay/
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Pocket Casts supports CarPlay, too, btw:
https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/carplay/

Thanks for that, but unfortunately, in the Sonos app when I access “On this iPad” it defaults to Apple Podcasts already downloaded on my iPad. Whatever other Podcast apps I have installed on my iPad or iPhone although they may play directly on the device (or via Apple Airplay in the house but that’s another story) and CarPlay, they are not accessible via Sonos, so the VERY annoying problem persists. Have contacted support, but not holding out much hope. Guess I will get the usual cut and paste response others have received and which have proved to be useless. We’ll see!
For an expensive premium product this is not good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for that, but unfortunately, in the Sonos app when I access “On this iPad” it defaults to Apple Podcasts already downloaded on my iPad.
You’re using Pocket Casts incorrectly. For Sonos, enable it as a Sonos Music Service using your Pocket Casts account (as you would, for example, with a service like Spotify). You can then access your podcasts directly via the Sonos app. Pocket Casts then syncs across Sonos and the native Pocket Cast apps.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks for that. Looked at Music Services last week to try to change to another Podcast service but didn’t spot that one!
Thanks again, will do?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for that. Looked at Music Services last week to try to change to another Podcast service but didn’t spot that one!
Thanks again, will do?

Sure.

Remember that using Pocket Casts this way means that Sonos devices communicate directly with Pocket Cast's servers, and with the source locations of the podcasts. This means that podcasts don't need to be downloaded to your phone in the Pocket Casts app for playback via Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Got Pocket Casts and installed my Podcasts. Added it to Sonos and they play fine. Start where I left off which is all I wanted.
A big thanks.
Submitted this problem to Sonos support but got the same reply that others have got. Useless! The bottom line is that Sonos does not play podcasts properly for me when I access via “On this iPad”. May work for some but looking on Google this is a problem for many which Sonos have not addressed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The bottom line is that Sonos does not play podcasts properly for me when I access via “On this iPad”.
Yes, this is the specific iOS problem that I described in one of the other threads on which you posted. I agree that Sonos/Apple need to expedite a resolution for this, since it affects all content played from storage on iOS devices. I'm sure it's wasting time for lots of people, since Sonos -- as far as I know -- doesn't maintain any kind of 'known issues' list to inform folks that there's a general problem.

Even if/when this is fixed, however, it won't address the 'remember my place' podcast limitation, which switching to Pocket Casts does.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Replied to Sonos support with a brusk response to their suggestions of solutions. Told them what the problem is and why don’t they admit it and then do something about it instead of asking users to try this, try that etc. Very disappointed with their so-called support on this matter.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks again by the way!:)
I just bought a pair of Sonos Play:1 speakers, primarily for listening to podcasts at home. I was really disappointed to discover the limitation that I could not seamlessly pick up where I left off on my podcast when I leave home to walk the dog or drive to work, and vice versa.

I did some internet research and came across this thread about Pocket Casts. Before I download the app and get my hopes up that it will resolve this problem, I would like to know if anyone can answer this question: when I'm listening at home to a podcast on Pocket Casts on my Sonos and then I leave my house, when I continue listening on Pocket Casts, is that a downloaded version of the podcast or a streaming version? It is important for me to understand if the ability to "continue listening" is streaming, because the implication is that will use up a lot of my mobile data. Again I just want to understand the functionality and implications so I can make an informed decision about whether I should return these speakers since my main use is for listening to podcasts. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Hi, Dave. I'm going to reply in that other topic.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Dave

I'm a big podcast user and changed from Overcast to PocketCast over a year exactly for this reason

I tend to use the phone to Manage, download etc all my podcasts. If I go for a walk in the morning I listen to a podcast on headphones, then when I sit at my desk, I can switch to Sonos seamlessly and it picks up where I left off. Reverse is true - if I stop listening on Sonos and go out for another walk, it's synced

Recently added are buttons on the sonos software to FF and RW x seconds which is a big help
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Nice. Thanks for your input, Sean!

Lots of good info in both threads now, Dave. I believe that should answer your question, if not, please let us know.
Thanks everyone, I will give Pocket Casts a try!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings